Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 11.9 on-prem UDS search issues

reflux
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Right now we are still implementing IM&P and Jabber on prem for Windows, where MRA will be extended eventually for mobile device clients.

As some users are intentionally not included into LDAP's query hence these handful of accounts will be created via locally on CUCM.

So we are trying to simplify things by using UDS as contact source, but somehow these local (test) accounts are not resolving on Jabber on prem.

Some configuration done - :

- IM Address Scheme is set to DirectoryURI as since users are migrating over with SIP accounts in msRTCSIP-UserPrimaryAddress

- CUP & CUCM all on 11.5.1.

- Tried changing jabber-config.xml to only use UDS as <DirectoryType>

- Tried both Disabled & enabled UDS Contact Resolution on Service Profile.

Under the local user, mail & directoryURI do contain values. i.e. "usertest@domain.com" But it does not appear in the search, and they are able to login to Jabber but appear as the full IM address instead of resolving into, First Name Last Name or something.

13 Replies 13

Can you check of UDS service is running? Also, what permissions are given
to the users in user configuration window

Hi there,

I have verified that uds is working as intended but the only issue that i have discovered is UDS takes in parameter of the local users userName@domain.name in  the directoryURI. Same goes for UDS contact resolution as to LDAP synced users to local CUCM directory (without specifying any directory type on jabber config)

Is there any way to resolve the local users portion? I tested this by deleting default jabber config and turned on the UDS contact resolution. Local users who have username and directoryURI set to username@domain.name resolves but local user with a different alias does not resolve.

Now I got confused. Can you share an example of configured user which can't
resolve.

Sorry for the confusion.

All users are associated with a Service Profile, right now it's currently checked for "UDS Contact Resolution".

I have jabber-config.xml configured and uploaded onto Tftp.

- Logged into Jabber for Windows on-premises, from my contacts i'm unable to resolve local CUCM users.

-  jabber-config contains the following under <Directory>

<DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType>

<UdsServer>CUCM FQDN</UdsServer>

<EmailAddress>mail</EmailAddress>

<UseSIPURIToResolveContacts>true</Use..>

<PresenceDomain>domain.name</PresenceDomain>

<SipUri>msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress</SipUri>

<UriPrefix>Sip:</UriPrefix>

</Directory>

- Local enabled CUCM users do have DirectoryURI and mail fields set, and they are not empty.

- Local enabled CUCM users on Jabber for Windows (on premises) currently displays as "username@domain.name" instead of resolving into FirstName LastName.

Thanks.

Is the domain name same as the one used for cucm fqdn domain suffix.

Yes it is.

In my experience Jabber will try initially to search the UPN, then mail, then UserID, for sign in. But I think contact resolution is different.

The user needs the Standard CCM User to access this or any phone services so you’re good there. 

I also use UDS for contact resolution - but I have not configured anything special in Jabber’s config other than image source. 

I can double check tomorrow, since this is an issue for our lab. Have to remember that  IM&P “contacts” (JID) are not the same as UDS directory entries but it should still resolve by userID. 

I am really confused here as there is a service profile configured. However i removed the directory profile set primary to none, and removed cleared all LDAP credentials and search base within Directory settings for the service profile, and have only specified in the jabber-config.xml

Reason as to using the jabber config is because of default uds searches for the userID@domain.name (correct me if im wrong) and our users email addresses alias do not go by the userID (mapped as samAccountName)

But by any means, local users i have tested by logging in to account itself also does display the userid@domain.name at the top

Do one thing, try to remove directory config from service profile and from
jabber-config and see if it resolves the local. In 11.5 UDS will take care
of local and ldap lookups which was a change made from earlier releases
(not sure where it was applied to 10.5 or 11).

I did a test yesterday as to what you mentioned, yes local users are able to resolve but then AD LDAP enabled accounts sync to CUCM cannot resolve since its directoryURI is by custom a (from email address) which goes by alias@domain.name .

For e.g. thomas.henderson@domainx.com and my samAccountName aka userID for UDS will be thenderson

Then i came across this issue for the local users: 

1) user A had userID and directoryURI as userID@domain.name - able to resolve

2) user B had userID but directoryURI as customID@domain.name - cannot resolve 

Thats when i realised default UDS with no parameters defined in jabber config searches for the userID@domain.name.

So i tried the reverse, added custom jabber config for uds parameters to resolve SIP contacts and uriprefix e.g. the LDAP sync users worked but then the same issue surfaces that the local users are unable to resolve.

This is not acceptable as many features in Jabber would break i.e. the Presence and certain outlook integration like meetings are identified as their email addresses.

The reason why there is a need for local users is due to the fact that we dont want them to populate in the corporate directory search for calls or unless is there a way to sync these group of people from LDAP but prevent them from appearing in the corporate directory search? (Not Jabber search)

What is the username format synched from LDAP and what is the username
format for local accounts. Have you tried UPN for both local and LDAP. If
yes, then UDS should resolve both.

reflux wrote:

Then i came across this issue for the local users: 

1) user A had userID and directoryURI as userID@domain.name - able to resolve

2) user B had userID but directoryURI as customID@domain.name - cannot resolve 

Thats when i realised default UDS with no parameters defined in jabber config searches for the userID@domain.name.

So i tried the reverse, added custom jabber config for uds parameters to resolve SIP contacts and uriprefix e.g. the LDAP sync users worked but then the same issue surfaces that the local users are unable to resolve.

I ran into this myself trying to mock this up today to work on my understanding of how this works. I found a local user and set it up to see how it behaves. 

If the account has a displayname that's what shows, otherwise it seems to be firstname lastname . 

As far as I can tell end user records for synchronized or otherwise are the same just that the sync users have a fkdirectorypluginconfig value of something other than NULL. 

From playing with the UDS search the way Jabber does (https://ucm/cucm-uds/users?max=21&start=0&name=<search query>) you can see the results here and how they are presented to make a comparison - keeping in mind that Jabber seems to cache results to some extent until you open the user's profile or that data is flushed. Updates are not instantaneous and that can make it look like something is broken.

Edit: Per looking at Expressway's network log (convenient but I think you can see this in Jabber log as well) my client appears to be searching UDS based on whatever I put in the search box, but it doesn't append a domain to it. In jabber-config the directory options I have are DirectoryServerType set to UDS and MinimumCharacterQuery set to 3. I do have "Use SIP URI to resolve contacts " set to true with the Mail attribute set there but that doesn't seem to impact searching persay. I think that is related to the way Jabber resolves the users who are on your roster and pulls data from them. 

Hi there,

I am also doing some tests in lab with jabber 11.9.3.

Cucm is sync with ldap (AD) and user ID is samaccount name.

For directory search I am using UDS and i am able to find both local and LDAP synd users from jabber using either first name or last name .

However my issue is my ID on top shows samaccountname@

I am using jabber only in softphone mode.

In my jabber config file I only have 1 line.

<Directoryservertype>UDS</directoryservertype>

Please help how can I fix this name on top ???