Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 12 in Phone mode does not connect to phone service

Hello!

We have a CUCM 11.5 based on-premise setup for videoconferencing without IM&P server.

Earlier we used Polycom software client for users, now we want to migrate users to Jabber for Windows (JfW). 

I found several manuals including official in support section, regarding using JfW in Phone_mode to work without IM&P server.

But I have a problem getting JfW client registered on CUCM.

I've set up user authentication through UDS, and user cuccessfully logs in to the client, but cannot connect to phone services and in CUCM device is shown as Unregistered.

Device and user assosiations are done, DN assigned

As i have seen in logs for JfW, even device info and DN has been received by the client

For now I have these main problems/questions:

1. Domain is mentioned everywhere in the documents, is it obligatory or JfW can process direct IP setup? In fact, user is authenticated into client using username@cucmip pattern, TFTP is also setup with its IP address and config-file is successfully received

2. DNS lookup. _cisco-uds SRV record is mentioned throughout the documentation, but using direct IP addresses should make it unnecessary to use. Or even though direct IPs are used, JfW anyway is looking for domain info? In Cisco Jabber Diagnostics in Discovery section I see services and voice services domain indicated with Discovery Outcome failure: FAILED_NO_SRV_RECORDS_FOUND. Where does it take domain information from?

3. Which username and password are required for user to login to Phone service? Is it users LDAP credentials (same as used for authenticating into JfW itself? In some documents mandatory use of CAPF is mentioned, where should generated Authentication String be used if trying to install/upgrade certificate?

How can I track where the problem can occur? Where should I look?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

QingYun Zhan
Level 1
Level 1

Please check SRVs follow:

Local DNS

example.com

_cisco-uds

_tcp

cucm.example.com

Local DNS

example.com

_cuplogin

_tcp

cup.example.com

Test DNS follow:

C:\Users\zhan8>nslookup - 172.21.21.21
 ns1.htinfor.com
Address: 172.21.21.21

> set type=srv
> _cisco-uds._tcp.htinfor.com
SERVER: ns1.htinfor.com

_cisco-uds._tcp.htinfor.com SRV service location:
priority = 0
weight = 0
port = 8443
svr hostname = cucm.htinfor.com
cucm.htinfor.com internet address = 172.21.21.19

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jabber uses several SRVs and DNS in order to locate the services, otherwise, you might want to use the install switches to hard-code the connection parameters.
If you have not hard-coded the parameters, you want to configure the SRVs
You want the login to be username@domain, and domain being where your CUCM is. CAPF is used if you use mixed mode.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

During install I have hard-coded AUTHENTICATOR=CUCM TFTP, CTI & CCMCIP addresses to cucmip

As I can read from J4W logs (unfortunately, system is isolated from internet and I cannot upload it), the client is successfully authenticated, successfully receives:
- remote destinations file from uds
- device configuration file
- line DN info

Even with this information client is constantly trying to get _cisco-uds SRV record (why does it need it if cucm authentication is set manually) and does not register to cucm.

One more thing for interest is that in the top-left corner I see userid@ without domain or IP. Is it OK or the client is still missing some information?

Hello!

I managed to retreive logs from the site made with PRT

Maybe it can help understanding where the problem may come from

Is there any software to make logs more readable like TranslatorX for CUCM?

QingYun Zhan
Level 1
Level 1

Please check SRVs follow:

Local DNS

example.com

_cisco-uds

_tcp

cucm.example.com

Local DNS

example.com

_cuplogin

_tcp

cup.example.com

Test DNS follow:

C:\Users\zhan8>nslookup - 172.21.21.21
 ns1.htinfor.com

> set type=srv
> _cisco-uds._tcp.htinfor.com
SERVER: ns1.htinfor.com

_cisco-uds._tcp.htinfor.com SRV service location:
priority = 0
weight = 0
port = 8443
svr hostname = cucm.htinfor.com
cucm.htinfor.com internet address = 172.21.21.19

There are no such records in DNS, I asked network administrators to add it, but anyway why is it required when the whole authentication process is done through direct IP's?

Even though documents say that parameters can be hardcoded, system started to work only with SRV record for _cisco-uds pointing to CUCM server

Also in J4W logs I see several REGISTER and REFER SIP messages, I guess there has to be AUTH message, but it is not there

REFER messages are from 1099 which is a correct DN to some strange numbers like 1234567890