Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 12 - Server Selection by UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false

mzsaad123
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

We are currently using Jabber 11.6.1. In 11.6 UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED is disabled by default. Things are fine. 

We ask users to login using their User IDs and Password and they don't have any issues.

We install Jabber using the following parameters:

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi /quiet CLEAR=1 CLICK2X=DISABLE VOICE_SERVICES_DOMAIN=na.example1.com SERVICES_DOMAIN=NONE PRODUCT_MODE=Phone_Mode

Now, we want to move to Jabber 12. The issue with Jabber 12 is that UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED is enabled by default. We are using the parameter UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false in the above parameter to disable the UPN Discovery.

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi /quiet CLEAR=1 UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false CLICK2X=DISABLE VOICE_SERVICES_DOMAIN=na.example1.com SERVICES_DOMAIN=NONE PRODUCT_MODE=Phone_Mode

By doing this, we are still unable to select the server (By the advanced Setting on the Main Page). Not sure if this is an undocumented bug?

When I remove all other parameters and just keep

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi /quiet CLEAR=1 UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false then, I am able to get the Advanced Settings, but this time it prompts me for the email address and not the username.

The issue with the email address is that my SRV records are pointing to:

na.jabber.example1.com and not to my actual email address saad@example1.com. This isn't friendly for the end user. Wondering what solution I have in this situation.

We have multiple CUCM/SME clusters across the globe. And we need the option to be able to select the CUCM server on-demand.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

mzsaad123
Level 1
Level 1

so now, I am using msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi /quiet CLEAR=1 UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false so I can select the CUCM server by myself. I click on Advanced Settings and put in the CUCM IP of the server where I want to connect to (my lab server in this case).

What ends up happening is that it prompts me for the email address this time. I put in email where the SRV  records are pointing to: saad@na.jabber.example1.com (not to my actual email: saad@example1.com)

A second screen appears which asks me to enter my username/password. I enter my credentials. However then still I get connected to my production server (not to my lab server). So 'UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false' somehow allows me to enter the IP/Hostname of the CUCM, but still connects me to what is in the DNS SRV records.

UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false does not disable Service Discovery entirely. All it does is prevent the Jabber client from using the AD UPN attribute of the logged in user to perform Service Discovery instead of prompting for email address.

Unless I’m missing something it sounds like you’re fighting the product design more than necessary. Just add the _cisco-uds SRV record to the internal DNS zone that matches your user email addresses. This is how Service Discovery is intended to work: prompt for email (or use UPN) to get a URI, then use the right-hand side to query for the SRV record. Easy.

If you want to skip Service Discovery entirely you would need to specify the server by FQDN (IP will fail certificate validation) in the Advanced Settings of the Jabber client login page.