cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 9.2.x on Windows 8 with Office 2010/2013

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

Running Jabber 9.2.2 on Windows 8 Professional 64-bit, and I'm running into a strange issue with the WebEx MAPI Component (wbxcOIEx.exe).

When I logon to Jabber, it connects perfectly fine. However, the wbxcOIEx.exe process will completely lock my Outlook .ost file and prevent Outlook from opening. Outlook then produces this error message:

---------------------------

Outlook Data File

The file C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Aaron.ost is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer.

OK  

If I manually kill off the WebEx process, Jabber continues to function exactly as expected AND Outlook launches and works perfectly as well. [UPDATED: See post later in the thread for solution to this first issue. --6/12/2013]

I'm also having issues with Outlook no longer showing Presence status nor is Click to Call working. [UPDATED: I'm still seeking a solution to this issue. --6/12/2013]

27 Replies 27

amir_rohani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, same issue here! (Office 2013 and Jabber 9.2)

I can either open outlook or Jabber at a time. it seems like the OST file gets locked to one of the programs! I've had them running for a few weeks with no issues and all of a sudden started getting this today! I deleted some Local and temp files from my profile, just wondering if that has anything to do with it or just a coincidence

Thanks

To Andre and Amir,

Make sure you read my post above about the OST locking, and follow it precisely for all three files. That should resolve the issues you're having. Also, you must be at least 9.2.1 or later. I can't confirm this works on prior versions.

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

I'm still looking for a solution for C2C/Presence Integration in Outlook 2010/2013 on Windows 8. I've verified multiple registry settings and cannot find a solution, but it's very aggravating. I can't imagine there are deep-rooted core changes to the app required here.

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I have upgraded to 9.2.2, which supposedly brings compatibility with Outlook 2013 and Windows 8, and yet both of these issues persist.

The original OST file lock issue is back, and sure enough my previous fix of Admin Rights isn't working now. Very freaking aggravating.

Additionally, I still cannot get Presence to work in Outlook 2013.

The lack of responses from Cisco on this are becoming very aggravating. It's no wonder people prefer Lync.

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I have forwarded the problem description to the relevant team so they can try to reproduce it.

Regarding presence, can you check if following keys are present in registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IM Providers\Cisco Jabber]
"FriendlyName"="Cisco Jabber"
"GUID"="{83CE44B6-A512-4199-9766-38357A9108E8}"
"ProcessName"="CiscoJabber.exe"

Thanks,

Maqsood

Thank you for the response!

Can you please clarify exactly what registry settings are required for Outlook Presence?

So far I have:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers\Cisco Jabber]
"UpAndRunning"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\IM]
"EnablePresence"=dword:00000001
"Enabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\IM]
"EnablePresence"=dword:00000001
"Enabled"=dword:00000001

Having these Reg Settings now set. (Manually as they were not there) :

I had a fresh Windows 8 64Bit with Office 2013 64Bit. Jabber Version 9.2.2 Build 3271 installed. But still facing the same problems. No presence and no Click to Dial.

I also get the OST File Lock issue, but only when starting Jabber as Administrator. If not the error message does not appear.

Cheers

Andre

Well now that's interesting... I set it so that CiscoJabber.exe was NOT running as Administrator and sure enough, I don't get the WebEx mapi component process running in Task Manager (and therefore the OST lock does not occur), but strangely enough... Presence in Outlook 2013 is also working now with all of the keys set that I listed above (still not sure exactly which of those is required or not). Click to Call is also working!

That is beyond weird... sounds as though the Windows 8/Outlook 2013 support isn't fully tested yet and may require some more work.

Registry keys for Integrating IM applications with Office 2013 can be found here. For Jabber for Windows, the values are as below:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers]

"DefaultIMApp"="Cisco Jabber"

"UpAndRunning"=dword:00000002 or 1 or 0             *** Value written on runtime by Jabber

Andre,

Can you verify that the all the above keys are set and you have added SIP uri attribute for the contacts in AD?

Team has started looking into the OST lock issue. Thank you Andre and "Muranske Companies" for providing more information on this.

Maqsood

Thanks for looking into these issues. Feel free to post here or email directly if the team needs information. I'm happy to submit anything I can if we can identify proper fixes.

I can confirm all these Reg Keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers]

"DefaultIMApp"="Cisco Jabber"

"UpAndRunning"=dword:00000002 or 1 or 0             *** Value written on runtime by Jabber

I also can confirm SIP uri attributes in AD Users / Contacts.

Please see screenshots.

Hi,

We have been unable to reproduce the OST file lock issue so far following the steps mentioned in this thread. Some further information is required to continue investigation. Can anyone who can reproduce the issue follow these steps and attach the traces to this thread?

1.    Exit OUTLOOK, CiscoJabber, make sure wbxcOIEx64.exe is not in running.

2.    Add the following line to %appdata%\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config\jabberLocalConfig.xml

3.    Launch CiscoJabber to reproduce this issue, send me the result and trace.

1. Exit OUTLOOK, CiscoJabber, make sure wbxcOIEx64.exe is not in running.
  2. Delete all logs under “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Logs”
  3. Add the following line to %appdata%\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config\jabberLocalConfig.xml

4. Launch CiscoJabber to reproduce this issue

5. Take a screenshot of the error

6. Create a problem report (Jabber for Windows > Help > Report a problem…)

7. Attach the screenshot and problem report with this thread.

Andre,

- Is Lync also installed on this machine? If yes, then it needs to be removed

- Do you see greyed out bubbles in Oultlook or no bubbles at all? If there are no bubbles at all then verify that the checkbox "Display online status next to me" is checked in Outlook > Options > Contacts tab.

Thanks,

Maqsood

gkaya
Level 1
Level 1

Exactly same problem with outlook 2016 and latest jabber client.

I'm positive that Jabber locks the ost file, I saw it with process explorer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: