cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 9 hangs on XP log off

RITR
Level 1
Level 1

Whenever people log off their workstation running Windows XP, Jabber hangs for them -- see Jabber Crash.png for example. This happens just about every time for lots of people. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Judging from the screenshot this is windows trying to terminate applications (ie jabber) while they are shutting down or when the user logs off. I have seen this many times with many applications.

Can you explain what is different with jabber ? Windows cannot terminate the application ?

Regards,

Christos

Programs typically hang on log-off because they do not handle the log-off command properly or because they're busy doing something that's preventing it from closing down. But, because you can always exit the program without issues, it's most likely that Jabber simply isn't handling the operating system's shutdown notification properly. I'm wondering if there's any way to work around this without having to manually close the program before logging off.

It's especially annoying that it never terminates and requires manual intervention to close the program:

This issue happens on pretty much all of our XP machines -- even in a virtual test machine I have.

RITR
Level 1
Level 1

This was fixed with version 9.2.0 Build 496.