Views
Helpful
Replies

jabber cannot reach server

kennis1977
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Once again a question about jabber that cannot reach the server some how...

a did search on the forum for some answers and most of the time it's a dns issue.

however i use the default domain name so DOMAIN.NOT.SET in the jabber on my iphone and my laptop

on my iphone there is a dns address pointing to my cisco router that has a local lookup to the ip address of the precense server

(can ping it on name with a ping app) 

on my laptop i used the windows local.hosts file and made an entry pointing to the precense also pingable.

both jabber clients laptop version 10.6.0 and iphone version 11.6.1 not working and getting the message server not found.

i can logon to the callmanager with both clients.. but then no precense status off course.

both users are created on the callmanager and visable in the precense end users.. 

what can more be the issue??

thankss

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

can you share the screenshot of below

1. error on jabber.

2. what do you enter in jabber during login i.e for eg username@domain

3. what has been defined on cluster topology page for presence server i.e is it in hostname , ip or FQDN

also are you trying to login manually now ?

Please make sure is cups server is defined as hostname/FQDN , it should be resolvable by jabber

View solution in original post

alright here is the process for your clarification.

Jabber --> DNS SRV Record ( cuplogin ) in your scenarion --> Presence server. Now once jabber reaches here to CUPS , it also needs to communicate to CUCM in order to work in full UC mode. So its in CUPS where we define the CUCM entry which jabber fetches.

so i can understand that you havn't specified ccmcip server and tftp server enteries in CUPS. Please add cucm server as ccmcip server and tftp server in cups. so once jabber will reach CUCM , it will download the csf.cnf file , SP and jabber-config xml file.

Hope this helps :)

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Varundeep Chhatwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi ,

can you share thew below to clarify more on this

1. what is the version of cups

2. how are you logging into jabber i.e. is it automatic or manually specifying the ip address of server.

3. as i notice you get server not found error. where are referring to this " domain.not.set" is this error displayed while you try to login into jabber.

Things to make sure

1. user is enable to IM capabilities.

2. if you login manually via specifying the ip of CUPS , enter the IM domian of CUPS while logging in

Hi thanks for you're reply.

1. version is 9.1.1.31900-1

2.tried both options the same result... server not found.

3.no this is the domain i'm using... didn't change the domain after installation so used this domain for the user to login like 1000@DOMAIN.NOT.SET 

and users are IM capabable enabled indeed.. 

the domain is default DOMAIN.NOT.SET right? or do i miss here something?

alright. So on cluster topology --> settings --> im and presence domain you have "domain.not.set"

You have to specify some domain for jabber to have chat functionality.

suggesting you to change that feild fomr domain.not.set to your required IM Domain and then check.

Reboot the server after you make the changes.

Correct... that is just the domain right now..

can't i just first use this domain to test? and change it later?

does it need to be changed?

yes , it needs to be changed.

ok going to change it... keep you posted...

Ok changed it to cup.com and restart services..

made a new dns lookup on cup.com to ip address 10.1.240.240 (precense server) however still cannot communicate with server.

can you share the screenshot of below

1. error on jabber.

2. what do you enter in jabber during login i.e for eg username@domain

3. what has been defined on cluster topology page for presence server i.e is it in hostname , ip or FQDN

also are you trying to login manually now ?

Please make sure is cups server is defined as hostname/FQDN , it should be resolvable by jabber

Hi,

1. the erro on jabber is still server not found (see attach photo) with automatically enabled i get the erro services cannot be found.. with manueal configured i still get server not found

2.i use 1000@cup.com 1000 is the user created in the callmanager and pusgt to the precense (visible) and enabled precense cup.com i changed the domain to and made a dsn lookup to the ip address of the precense server on the dns server.

3.it's defined as only cup so not cup.com hmm can that be the issue? 

or make also a domain lookup for just cup to the ip address of the precense server?

try logging into jabber after adding the cups server host name as well as FQDN in below location of your jabber machine.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

this is just to eliminate that if issue is coming form dns or not.

so modify the hosts file by adding the cups&cucm host name and FQDN in above location.

once you do it , reset the jabber and then try logging in manually

ok... i add a new dns lookup on my dns router cup to the ip address of the precense... and working :D

Both jabber clients working now on the iphone and on the laptop.

nice..

only one small thing left now.. they cannot find anybody. when i do a search by contacts...

some setting somewhere? the end users just created in the callmanager so not with ldap to microsoft ad.

perfect (y)

in order to search contacts , either you can create a jabber-config xml file which jabber will get from cucm ( tftp ) or use Service profile.

As in your case , you are not  having LDAP server , so you have to make your CUCM as a directory source. so in this case you need to mention cucm as directory source in jabber-config xml file or in service profile.

Refer the below :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_6/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and-installation-guide/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and-installation-guide_chapter_01111.html

i hope this helps

Created a directory service as mentioned UDS directly to the callmanager dir with the ip address of the ccm put it to the service profile and logged the jabber clients off and on again.. 

not yet much like a hit on username/id 

leaved the port default 389 missed something?

Did find a document that the jabber client not getting the service profile when you don't create a dns src record..

"Cisco Jabber only retrieves configuration from service profiles on Cisco Unified Communications Manager if the client gets the _cisco-uds SRV record from a DNS query"

so created this srv record and logged the jabber off and on again.. but still no luck with the addressbook from callmanager..

i only see myself when i'm logged in.