Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber clients and phone control

feisalb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

This may be a stupid question but I was speaking with a Cisco pre-sales engineer about a POC.

Basically the client wants to try out unified comms with jabber. The currently have a cucm cluster and are going to connect

to a new POC cluster consisting of cucm 9.0 and presence.

They will be call forwarding all on their current devices to the device on the new poc.

The bit that has confused me is that when I asked the engineer if they will have new devices on the POC cluster he said

"no" they will register the current devices to the new cluster.

How will this work as you can't have the same device registered to two seperate clusters?

Will the original cluster just have a DN of the users original number that is CFA to the new cluster?

Proper confused ???

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As I suggested yesterday, you would be better served by integrating the IM&P cluster to the existing CUCM cluster. Each IM&P product is intended to service only a single CUCM cluster and it actually joins the Informix database replication mesh of CUCM. If you're deadset on a separate CUCM cluster you really want to move the entire phone/DN over. You can use route patterns with an Inter-Cluster Trunk on the existing CUCM trunk to forward calls over to the new cluster.

If you don't do this you are going to run into a bunch of snags, all of which are untested/charted territory:

• For deskphone control you would have to set the CTI Gateway to be the existing CUCM cluster since that's the CTI Manager service that would be capable of controlling the user's DN and device.
  • The CSF device would also need to be on the existing CUCM cluster which means the TFTP setting in IM&P needto be pointed at the existing cluster. This in turn means that your jabber-config.xml file will need to be loaded to the existing cluster.
  • If you want the "on the phone" status to work you need a SIP PUBLISH trunk from CUCM to the IM&P server. Here again this would need to be from the old cluster. This gets even more iffy since the System Troubleshooter does a bunch of AXL-based tests, including on that SIP PUBLISH trunk. It won't be able to test since the feed will be coming from a different cluster. I'm skeptical if this would even work but if you have any chance at it happening the usernames in the two CUCM clusters would have to match.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.