Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Contacts - Listed Automatically

Dean O'Meara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to make it within Jabber so that all contacts appear without having to start typing a person's name & if it is how?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Aseem Anand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can do that by using bulk administration tool:

Prepopulate Contact Lists in Bulk

You can pre-populate user contact lists with the Bulk Administration Tool (BAT).

In this way you can prepopulate contact lists for users so that they automatically have a set of contacts after the initial launch of the client.

Cisco Jabber supports up to 300 contacts in a client contact list.

Procedure
      Command or Action Purpose
    Step 1 Create a CSV file that defines the contact list you want to provide to users.  

Create CSV to Import Contact Lists

Step 2 Use the BAT to import the contact list in bulk to a set of users.   Upload Contact List Using BAT  

Create CSV to Import Contact Lists

Structure of the CSV File

The CSV file must have the following format:

<User ID>, <User Domain>, <Contact ID>, <Contact Domain>, <Nickname>, <Group Name>

Sample CSV file entry:

userA,example.com,userB,example.com,buddyB,General

Table 1 Description of Input File Parameters

Parameter

Description

User ID

Required parameter. The user ID of the IM and Presence Service user. It can have a maximum 132 characters.

User Domain

Required parameter. The Presence domain of the IM and Presence Service user. It can have a maximum of 128 characters.

Contact ID

Required parameter. The user ID of the contact list entry. It can have a maximum of 132 characters.

Contact Domain

Required parameter. The Presence domain of the contact list entry. The following restrictions apply to the format of the domain name:

• Length must be less than or equal to 128 characters
    • Contains only numbers, upper- and lowercase letters, and hyphens (-)
    • Must not start or end with hyphen (-)
    • Length of label must be less than or equal to 63 characters
    • Top-level domain must be characters only and have at least two characters

Nickname

The nickname of the contact list entry. It can have a maximum of 255 characters.

Group Name

Required parameter. The name of the group to which the contact list entry is to be added. It can have a maximum of 255 characters.

Upload Contact List Using BAT

Before You Begin

Create a CSV file with contacts.

Procedure
      Step 1   Open the Cisco Unified CM IM and Presence Administration interface.
      Step 2   Select Bulk Administration > Upload/Download Files.
      Step 3   Select Add New.
      Step 4   Select Choose File to locate and choose the CSV file.
      Step 5   Choose Contact Lists as the target.
      Step 6   Choose Import Users' Contacts - Custom File as the Transaction Type.
      Step 7  

Select Save to upload the file.

Referred link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_7/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber-117/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-for-cisco-jabber-117_chapter_010.html

Aseem

(Please rate if useful)

Jaime Valencia
      Cisco Employee
      Cisco Employee

On 11.x you can also use AD groups to add users to Jabber, and manage them from your LDAP.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I see that it's possible to pre-populate the contacts list, and that it's possible to import active directory lists. How can you do both? I have AD lists created, I can manually add them to a client by going to file -> new -> directory group, but I want those lists to be pre-populated upon installation of the client. Is there any way to do this? I feel like there must be but I have been searching for hours.

AFAIK that's not possible, you can only pre-populate users, not AD groups.

HTH

java

Thanks for the quick response!  That's what I thought. 

I feel like it would be a good feature to have in the future if there's someone that can be recommended to.  As it is we're just going to send an email to all users during the deployment saying to please add them manually and list out what the names of them are since there doesn't seem to be a way to list the choices inside jabber (also might be a good feature, instead of having to type a few characters of the name in order to find them, if there was a list of all groups).

You can reach out to your SE/AM and ask them assistance to submit a PER on this.

HTH

java

Hi Jamie,

I see you mentioned that you have the option to pre-populate users as contacts in Jabber.  Can you provide the documentation that shows you how?  All I could find is the option to import the contacts via a CSV file once the jabber user signs into their jabber client.   However our goal is to have the contact list pre-populated at first login, without having to do the import

Thanks

Never mind, I do see you provided that information in the above post.  Thanks,

You'll figure this out eventually but you can import non-presence contacts with vCard data with a photo, but, otherwise all that information pulls from your directory source. The two things do not intermingle.

If you prepopulate the list, note these jobs add to the list but do not remove contacts from the list. If you pump in a group of say "Company Resources" with HR, Security, Help Desk, The Boss, etc, then should the end user remove any of those, next time you would try to re-apply it the contacts will come back.

Groups obviously let you maintain a contact list dynamically with sync but you need to instruct users to add them as far as I am aware - there may be a way to play API games with that but I'm not sure.