cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber doesn't show contact's photo when connected remotely.

Sergey Lubenkov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My jabber (both windows/iphone) for some reason doesn't show  contacts' photos if connected remotely via expressway and no issues if it's connected internally. I am using AD thumbnail pictures. 

Where could be the problem? Is that DNS issue?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

When  you use MRA you use UDS, no access to AD (if I am correct). So when your photos are in AD you don't see them. Think you must use then photo URL, and white list that server.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You use UDS over MRA, have you white listed the necessary servers in the expressways??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

CM, UC and CUP were white listed by default and I also added AD Global catalog but it still not showing photos. Also I noticed that even internally jabber sometimes can't pull pictures if connection settings are set to auto. If settings are Cisco IM & Presence - no problem at all.

Hi Jaime,

Do you know why jabber-config.xml file disappears when I sign in to the Jabber?

Thank you,

Sergey

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

When  you use MRA you use UDS, no access to AD (if I am correct). So when your photos are in AD you don't see them. Think you must use then photo URL, and white list that server.

Sergey Lubenkov
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I've changed my jabber-config.xml file to use UDS:

<Directory>
  <DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType>
  <UdsServer>172.16.1.12</UdsServer>
  <UdsPhotoUriWithToken>http://admin-srvr01.domain.com/%%uid%%.jpg</UdsPhotoUriWithToken>
  <MinimumCharacterQuery>3</MinimumCharacterQuery>
  </Directory>

Also if I am testing URL  http://admin-srvr01.domain.com/user1.jpg - It works fine.

However Jabber still can't find the photo, please see the log below:

- RequestPhoto: getHasPhoto is false for Contact user1@domain.com. Adding request to pending list, searchCacheOnly is 0

It looks like it's not using jabber-config.xml file

Any ideas?

but please take a look what my jabber log says:

Hi Sergey,

When using Expressway, as you know you will need to use UDS. Which means that contact searches are performed from Communication Manager rather than from the AD. CM doesn't pull the photos from the AD when performing a sync and so in this scenario you require a web server which is accessible by anyone. So even if I type out the complete URL in my browser right now, I should be able to see the photo. Please note that the client must be able to access the photos from the web server without credentials. 

It seems as if you are still referencing your AD in the photo URL, " http://admin-srvr01.domain.com/user1.jpg". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Once you have the Web Server set up and you are able to access the images from the Internet, Jabber should be able to pull the contact images fine, if you've provided the correct URL in the jabber-config.xml file.

You can refer to the following document for clarification:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_6/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and-installation-guide/CJAB_BK_C56DE1AB_00_cisco-jabber-106-deployment-and-installation-guide_chapter_01111.html#CJAB_RF_CEA70FA2_00

Also in Jabber 10.6 and later versions, Jabber has changed the location where it stores the jabber-config.xml file. In fact, the file is stored in a different format and is stored as a cache file. The location is: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config\Cache\cachedTFTPConfigStore.xml

Hope this helps,

Yash

Hi Yash,

Thank you for clarification.

I've fixed my issue with XML generator tool.....there was something wrong with spaces...

Sergey