Helpful
Replies

Jabber for iOS ringing when in background on iPhone

anthony.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Jabber for iOS  12.8

iOS 13.3

We've noticed that with the combination of iOS 13.3 and Jabber for iOS 12.8 that if the jabber client is swiped up to be placed in the background on the Apple device that it still rings the iPhone if a phone call comes through. This is a new behavior because it seems that previously the Jabber client would not ring if it was in the background on an Apple device. I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing this issue.

3 Replies 3

I too am on Jabber for iOS  12.8 and iOS 13.3.1

I have this issue too where if the jabber client is swiped up in switcher, which should close the app, and not leave it in the background on the Apple device. That a new call to the number will send a push notification to the Apple device and as a result will relaunch the Cisco Jabber App to then start ringing with the call.

I would expect the App to ring if the App was actually running in the background, ie switch to email, and not purposely closed by swiping up in switcher. The current behaviour where the push notification actively launches the App to me is unacceptable.

If Cisco deem this launching behaviour a positive feature then there should at least be settings in the App configuration to stop the push notification from launching the App if it is not either in the foreground or background.

Now every time I'm at the office and don't want my device to ring with a Cisco call I have to actively sign out of the App before closing it.

This is a new behaviour and previous Jabber clients would not ring if the App was closed, and the push-launch change is an unwanted intrusion to my privacy and my Apple device.

We seemed to start having this issue once iOS 13.3 was released. TAC is saying that this is the expected behavior of Jabber on iOS devices. But that is not in line with how other apps work on the iPhone. If you swipe up in the switcher to close the app, when a call comes through you actually see a message on the iPhone saying that the Jabber app is being launched. The resolution might mean a change in user behavior but we'll see if it comes to that.