Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Linux

Is there a planned Jabber for Linux version?

Message was edited on April 19, 2013:  Lisa Marcyes from the Cisco Collaboration Community Team added community category and tags for greater ease in filtering (no change to content).

52 Replies 52

jonathan perrin
Level 1
Level 1

Yes please. Bring a for Linux Jabber client , if we are to promote secure by default how can we recommend a client application runiing on the dominate deskttop OS that is not. Or is cisco solution that we use pidgin or other clients.

While pidgin works pretty well, i'm seeing more and more that security is disallowing third party clients to connect to webex connect and/or IM&P on prem. We really need to get this moving forward. While I understand that there are some differences between android and linux, surely a framework is in place. Let's get this moving.

Daniel Ash
Level 1
Level 1

I have dabbled with Linux over the years.  Since Windows 10 has destroyed transfer rates, I am finding myself using Linux more and more to transfer files for installs.  Jabber and Webex are the only thing preventing me from running Linux exclusively.  PLEASE spend some dev cycles around supporting the Linux community with these collaboration products.  If Cisco is using Linux to host on the server side, why wouldn't they provide a Linux client side product?

Thanks!

Dan

WolSen000
Level 4
Level 4

I would like to join the list to request Jabber to be available on Linux.

We have about 900 users but we are an (almost) Jabber only company. We try to use only Jabber and avoid desk-/hardphones wherever possible.

Most of our developers use Linux and by now we have to provide them deskphones. I know that there are third-party clients which can be integrated but the integration is not as good as a native Jabber application could be. Some would say it's really not acceptable.....

Thanks for considering the increasing demand of Jabber on Linux....

johnnybringer
Level 1
Level 1

What year is it? 2016. This is not 2000, or even 2008. The reality is that people often have to talk to client, vendors, professional contacts, etc. This forces them to use a client like Pidgin, or an other multi-protocol IM client, so they can IM to everyone they need to. Even in some very large organizations various groups can be on different IM services. At my work we have deployed Cisco Jabber, and it doesn't appear to work very well with 3rd party clients. Contacts are missing, or cannot tell who is on or off line. It's a complete mess, unless the user is using the Cisco Supplies client, but this means that a the user has to also run Pidgin as well to talk to all those other people in the world. Running 2 IM clients is not exact a perfect solution, and in my opinion is extremely burdensome on the user, but it's a good patch until something can be worked out. However there is the matter of all the users that run Linux, Ubuntu or Debian. Those people cannot use the Cisco Jabber client. I understand that 15 years ago Linux was ignoble on the desktop, but as of about 10 years ago it wasn't. Linux is born of the same openness that ushered in TCP/IP, which is what brought Cisco into assistance, and now they're chat client which uses open standards, and mostly likely some opensource software, doesn't work with Linux. This is hardly something that would be expected from an industry leader.

What can we, the humble users, do to convince Cisco that not supporting Linux is like cutting off your nose to spite your face?

My company start to offer Linux laptop for DEV but we can not use the actual tool

Could anybody from cisco give some updates on this point ? Do they even care that some customers are complaining about that ?

There are no plans to bring a Jabber for Linux version to market. The only option is to leverage third party XMPP clients to connect to CUCM IM&P or Messenger.

Connie

Thanks for the definitive answer, Connie.  I think all of us on the thread have grown tired of the noncommittal answers we've previously been given.

That said, how does Cisco recommend connecting third-party XMPP clients to CUCM IM&P in an SSO environment?

tbh, I'd be happy if either the android or windows versions worked for IM in ARChon or Wine...

Third party XMPP clients would not work in an SSO environments. In that case, you'll need to use the Jabber client on a different platform, such as mobile to compliment your Linux desktop.

Connie

itissid
Level 1
Level 1

Could one write their own somehow? Or does cisco have some sort of open source initiative to help with this?

rjrii
Level 1
Level 1

My organization would benefit from a Linux based client as well. Half my organization uses Linux workstations because we're a software development organization. That half of the business tends to stray from Jabber to other messaging platforms and are slowing dragging the rest of the organization away from Jabber as a result. Slack will consume IM communication and it won't be long before my CTO is asking for voice solutions in Slack to completely replace our Cisco UC infrastructure because of the lack of support for his portion of the organization.

First: All Cisco appliances run on a version of Linux (CUCM, IOS, IOS-NX, ...). Now the new IOx on the ISR C9xx even run a hipervisor based on Linux to support VM's based on Linux. So there is quit some Linux know-how available in Cisco.

Second: The percentage share of Linux as a desktop OS is growing, not only in the industrie but also in the maker and IoT scene.

Third: How hard can it be to port an existent source code to an other OS?

Cisco Take Action!

We all are awaiting it

Hi Wolfgang

Regarding Jabber running on a Linux platform.. while we don't support Jabber running directly on Linux we do support our VXME offering on multiple Linux based operating systems (eLux, Ubuntu etc). This allows Jabber to run remotely on a virtual desktop, the desktop streamed to a Thin Client and for VXME to handle media trafficking. More info on VXME available here : Cisco Virtualization Experience Media Edition - Products & Services - Cisco

VXME does not work on non-persistent virtual clones.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: