Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Linux

Is there a planned Jabber for Linux version?

Message was edited on April 19, 2013:  Lisa Marcyes from the Cisco Collaboration Community Team added community category and tags for greater ease in filtering (no change to content).

52 Replies 52

godfather09
Level 1
Level 1

I think everyone is hoping for a Linux client and it is clear that Cisco is not going to produce one and I get that it's a small footprint so why bother. However the bigger question is why hasn't the Jabber SDK been updated to support HTML5 and WebRTC instead of requiring plugins to be installed to operate. I am sure that we can agree that this should be completed and if it were it would solve everyone's problem as the web browser would handle the audio and video capabilities.

I believe this is an area where Cisco will find themselves playing catch up. With the announcement that Microsoft launching a Linux client for Skype, I would think it signals that there is room for such a client in the Jabber portfolio. I have a fragmented communication strategy myself due to the lack of Linux support. I have users on Windows, Mac and Linux (Debian). My Linux users have abandoned the Jabber platform in favor of Slack (originally Hipchat). The fact that Spark does not have a Linux client is also telling - a market is being ignored IMO.

MSFT is bringing a S4B Linux client to market?  Source?

linhchau
Level 1
Level 1

I run Pidgin on Ubuntu Linux, protocol XMPP, so I can use my Jabber account to connect to my colleagues running Jabber.

Please take a look at this: Jabber - Ubuntu Wiki

Webex is more troublesome. Now Webex does not support Java client, so there is no way to join a Webex meeting from Linux.

On your webex issue you can do web app, it does have limitations around sharing but for attendees at least there is a solution

https://help.webex.com/docs/DOC-2486#concept_6C8ED62012334D2D91D139BAD77C833F

Thanks

Srini

Srinivasan,

Thank you very much for the information. I will try it out.

Linh.

WebEx WebApp is currently available in Limited Availability to all customers. This for attendee only, no hosting or sharing capabilities yet. You will need to request your WebEx site to be enabled before you can try it out. Please work with your CSMs to enable the WebApp for your organization.

I work on a software project for Cisco. I don't know if Cisco will enable WebEx WebApp or not. So I just use 2 computers, one Mac computer and one Linux computer

I found this article about "Manually Install Cisco WebEx for Google Chrome" : https://help.webex.com/docs/DOC-8177

There is a Cisco WebEx extension for Firefox too.

The problem is that WebEx runs only with 32-bit versions of Chrome and Firefox. Now we run Linux 64-bit and we cannot download 32-bit versions of Chrome and Firefox from anywhere.

So for 64-bit Linux users, I still don't find any solution to run WebEx easily yet.

There is a guide about building 32-bit browser + JDK 32-bit to run WebEx, but it is too much a trouble. So using 2 computers is still more attractive

Daniel Ash
Level 1
Level 1

Months have gone by and I'm posting again because I don't want this thread to go unnoticed.  I still have a need for a Linux client for Jabber, WebEx, and now Spark.  Please add Linux support!!

sbhadeep.s
Level 1
Level 1

I fail to understand IOS was originally derived from LINUX, Cisco NEXUS is kinda Distro coming straight from FreeBSD, on that note NEXUS 9000 series has a full blown LINUX where we pretty much run all LINUX commands do SHELL scripting etc....

and even Cisco developed it for Android..... then why somuch of untouchability behavior towards LINUX enthusiasts ??

who are this LINUX enthusiasts/ IT geeks ?? will I be wrong if I say this guys are innovative and these people are working for some IT farm and happens to be good performers???

WE DON'T USE LINUX BECAUSE WE CANNOT AFFORD WINDOWS OR MACBOOKS... WE USE LINUX BECAUSE WE LOVE IT. I CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO BE A PRISONER OF MICROSOFT OR APPLE.

i know the overall market share of LINUX is 10 or 12 percent but majority of people who interacts with Cisco and working day in and out with Cisco support are certainly not chefs or cookie bakers are they ??

CISCO...PLEASE RELEASE LINUX VERSION OF YOUR APPLICATIONS. EVERYTHING DOESN'T WORK JUST ON BASED STATISTICAL GRAPH

sysadminTP
Level 1
Level 1

Another company here requesting Linux support for Jabber.

I registered to the community just to let Cisco know that in 2019 we are still waiting for a Jabber Linux Client.

we believe in you stitenko, could 2020 be the great year? :D
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: