cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Mac desktop sharing

Johannes Snyman
Level 1
Level 1

we have a few Jabber for Mac users in our company.

i realise that IM-only desktop sharing is not available on J4M. however, Mac users can't share desktops during a call either.

i get the attached error. i can't find this setting anywhere??

Jabber for Windows desktop sharing works perfectly when sharing to other windows clients, or to Mac clients.

CUCM : 10.5.2

CIMP: 10.5.2

J4M: 11.1.0

J4W: 11.1.0

any help would be appreciated!

thanks,

Johan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yeah, that's completely wrong, it has been quite a while since you can share your screen without a call.

Make sure someone didn't disable sharing in the jabber-config.xml file, and make sure you have BFCP enabled in the sip profile.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yeah, that's completely wrong, it has been quite a while since you can share your screen without a call.

Make sure someone didn't disable sharing in the jabber-config.xml file, and make sure you have BFCP enabled in the sip profile.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

thanks for getting back to me.

i can only find reference to IM-only screen sharing being available in Jabber for Windows. is it available in Jabber for Mac too?

BCFP is enabled on the sip profile, and the jabber-config.xml doesn't have entries for

EnableP2PDesktopShare and PreferP2PDesktopShare. thus, i assume that it should be working since desktop share is enabled by default.

I get that J4M needs to be in a call for J4W for screen sharing to happen.  But what if there is no Video on the call, e.g. both ends don't have camera is sharing still possible?

My Macbook has a cam and Jabber , Desktop Windows 7 PC's only have jabber / Controlled phone.  I can't share my MAC screen to my PC enabled team.

Hi Jaime, Just to clarify... "it has been quite a while since you can share your screen without a call" are you referring to both Jabber for Windows and Jabber for Mac?

Thanks,

Brett

Agreed - but the J4W 11 install/deployment guide says:

Users must be on active calls to use video desktop sharing capabilities. You can only initiate video desktop sharing sessions from active calls.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_D657A25F_00_deployment-installation-guide-jabber-110.pdf

Do you know have a document that is updated?  I know J4W <-> J4W desktop sharing works without an active call, but J4W <-> J4M doesn't seem to.

Hi Kevin,

that's correct. only J4W <--> J4W desktop sharing works without a call. Any desktop sharing involving a J4M still needs a BFCP enabled call.

Best,

Johan

This comment is correct only for J4W. You still need to be on a call for J4M.