Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows 9.6 softphone support on Windows 8.1

STEFAN CHRISTEN
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everyone

A customer likes to deploy Jabber for Windows 9.6 in phone mode with Windows 8.1 (softphone only, no video required).

The installation and configuration guide seems to be a bit confusing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_6/InstallConfig/JABW_BK_CDFE9752_00_installation-and-configuration_chapter_01.html#JABW_RF_O9E9CB52_00

Does anyone know what the following sentences really want to say?

The Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.6 MSI is supported on Microsoft Windows 8 with the exception of desktop phone video. The MSI does not support Microsoft Windows 8.1.

Cisco Jabber for Windows supports Microsoft Windows 8 in desktop mode only.

Cisco Medianet supports Microsoft Windows 8 but not Microsoft Windows 8.1. As a result, you cannot currently do the following on Microsoft Windows 8.1:

-Use Cisco Media Services Interface to classify and prioritize audio media and video media traffic on the network.

-Enable desk phone video capabilities.

I have never heard of desktop mode, I only know "desk phone" or "softphone" mode.

Does softphone mode work (no video required, Media Services Interface also not required)?

How do I install Jabber for Windows 9.6 on Windows 8.1 if the MSI is not supported?

If softphone mode is not supported, what is the roadmap for Windows 8.1 softphone support?

Many thanks for clarification

Regards

Stefan

5 Replies 5

Hi Stefan,

MSI here stands for Media Services Interface - not MicroSoft Installer.

Since Media Services Interface is not supported on Windows 8.1 - that means you won't be able to support video calls in Deskphone mode (on Win8.1). In Softphone mode MSI is not needed - so everything should work fine.

Regards,

Nebojsa

I am also facing the same problem. Video is not working on Cisco Jabber with Desk phone mode due to Media net not working. However, on some of the PCs  desk phone with video is working on windows 8.1. It is not clear what is the problem. 

Is there any plan for make MSI work with window 8.1 soon. Even with version 9.7 also video is not working.

Regards

seetaram

Amit Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

what you need is jabber for windows 9.7; this is duly tested to work on windows 8.1 ( 32 and 64 bit). Here is the link for the confirming the same;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_7/JABW_BK_CF8F083D_00_cisco-jabber-for-windows-97/JABW_BK_CF8F083D_00_cisco-jabber-for-windows-97_chapter_00.html#JABW_RF_N0C3239B_00

Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.7 supports the following operating systems:

• Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)
  • Windows 8 (32 bit and 64 bit) . Note: Metro Interface and Windows 8 RT are not supported.
  • Windows 8.1 (32 bit and 64 bit)

Note the tiled screen that comes first when you boot windows 8/8.1 is the Metro interface ; and then when we click the "desktop" option that is the Desktop mode.

-> cisco MSI ( or cisco  Media Service interface ) is needed for deskphone mode video to work; although if you donot use video in deskphone mode or donot configure a end user for deskphone mode then you dont need this piece of software.

In other works softphone mode of the "phone mode only" can work without this cisco MSI; and Deskphone mode can also work with the exception of deskphone video ( which will not work if the MSI is not supported for windows 8).

-> "Desktop mode " does not seem to be a term related to Jabber but it is more of a term related to the windows 8/8.1 modes.

- Please rate if this helps.

Thank you Amit for the nice explanation. I have the requirement to use the Video in desk phone mode. But MSI is not supporting windows 8.1 to have this feature. Do you have any idea when new release of MSI compatible with windows 8.1 will be released? Regards Seetu

So far i haven't been able to confirm a support for Cisco Media Service Interface 4.1 with windows 8.1; this is what the document says so far;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_7/JABW_BK_C4C679C9_00_cisco-jabber-for-windows-97/JABW_BK_C4C679C9_00_cisco-jabber-for-windows-97_chapter_0101.html#JABW_TK_IC6524B0_00

Cisco Jabber for Windows supports Cisco Media Services Interface version 4.1 for Microsoft Windows 7 and 8.

i would revisit this document again in sometime to check if the support has been extended to windows 8.1 as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: