cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows 9.6 using DNS SRV

btmulgrew
Level 4
Level 4

Hi -  I have installed Jabber for Windows 9.6 and can logon fine using the Manual Server options, however, when I try to automate the logon using DNS SRV record I recieve the error "cannot communicate with server".

I have followed the guides and it looks as if the issue is related to the install package not allocating the correct domain for the SRV records.  I am using the /CLEAR=1 and /SERVICES_DOMAN=localdomain.com parameters, however, when I check the DNS cache after install I still see theSRV records as below:

Windows IP Configuration

_cisco-uds._tcp.domain.not.set

----------------------------------------

Name does not exist.

_cuplogin._tcp.cisco-internal.domain.not.set

Name does not exist.

_cisco-uds._tcp.cisco-internal.domain.not.set

Name does not exist.

_cuplogin._tcp.domain.not.set

Name does not exist.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cukouncukoun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brian,

if your jabber PC is part of your domain where _cisco-uds SRV record is configured you don't need to install jabber with

SERVICES_DOMAN option. If not, you have to specify SERVICES_DOMAN option but without /.

I also playing with jabber 9.6 and this auto discovery feature is working for me.

I have a problem with environment where SRV UDS is not configured :-(

Tom

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cukouncukoun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brian,

if your jabber PC is part of your domain where _cisco-uds SRV record is configured you don't need to install jabber with

SERVICES_DOMAN option. If not, you have to specify SERVICES_DOMAN option but without /.

I also playing with jabber 9.6 and this auto discovery feature is working for me.

I have a problem with environment where SRV UDS is not configured :-(

Tom

Thanks Tom - apologies for the late reply.  

It also looks like we need to have all DNS config set up and tested before users try logging in to a Jabber client on that machine as DNS failures are cached.

Even clearing the ipconfig /flushdns, uninstalling and reinstalling jabber client and trying to login again from the machine (with all correct DNS records in place) still seems to cache the bad DNS records.

If I go to another machine with a fresh Jabber install it all works fine and I can see the correctly cached DNS SRV records.

Thanks for your help..... next challenge is why can't I automate logon via IPAD but it now works on Windows?... I'll raise another post for that one :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: