Views
Helpful
Replies

jabber for windows latency on win7 machine

Rene Mueller
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

we experience latency issues during phone calls inside the LAN environment when we use Jabber for calls. I can see in the call statistics that roundtrip/latency time jumps up to 200ms and higher for a few secs during the call. If this happens I have a cut of my speech. 

What I can say is, that we have GPO's enabled to mark Jabber traffic and it is working since I doublechecked packets with wireshark. We also have QoS Settings on network switches. We also have IP Desk Phones in place with are all working fine without issues, so I guess it's not a QoS problem. 

I guess it can be a windows problem. Does anyone has an idea or hint how I can trace Jabber issues within Windows 7? I tried different Jabber Versions (10.6, 11.5) without success. The LAN Adapter bandwidth is fine and not much in use during a call. Does anyone has turned on process priority (in windows task manager) other then normal to the Ciscojabber.exe process, like putting it to high or real time? 

I can say that we did not had this problem with CUPC. We updated to Jabber a few month ago and then, problems came up.

Rene

3 Replies 3

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is there any QoS enabled on the switch (if so, can it be disabled and checked)? Any Region Bandwidth configuration change in CUCM? Does the wireshark show codec re-negotiation or bandwidth up/down?

Understanding that this issue didn't exist in CUPC, I highly doubt Jabber as an application causing this issue. Another possible item to check, if changing headset changes the behavior.

I am having a similar issue when we try to make jabber calls to a Telepresence system.  On the telepresence end the monitor shows video for about 2 seconds and then freezes and goes to a grey screen.  The audio is still working but no video.

We are also currently in a project of replacing thousands of IP Communicator users to Jabber for Windows 11.7.1. While most are working fine (particularly during our early testing), we have about 10-20% of users now having performance issues. It shows just like a poor network connection, but if they immediately switch back to IP Communicator, the problem goes away. QoS is enabled end to end for many of these calls. Some users are on Windows 7, others Windows 10.

I too just noticed that in the task manager, Jabber for Windows is set to normal priority while IP Communicator was set to high. I'll be having some users change this if upgrading them to Jabber 11.8.3 doesn't resolve the issue.