cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Iphone/Android

pesco1
Level 1
Level 1

Just starting to look at using Jabber on Droid/Iphones in house.

I've figured out setting everything up for a specific user, myself for example. I can login to the app on iphone and droid (set both) and it works fine using my desk extension.

The issue I'm trying to work through is that we have some floor devices that are not assigned to a specific user, and I would like to do is have extension 1111 be able to login to jabber app and use the mobile device (iphone/droid).  I cannot figure out how to set it up so that extension 1111 can login to the jabber app without assigning to a user associated with active directory.  Part of this reason is on the floor any 1 of ten people might have that extension at any given time.  logging in and out every time will not work.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks, that's what I'm finding out. Was trying to find an alternate solution to the cp-8821 phones as they are junk hardware wise. Drop them from 6 inches and the mic breaks, or the speakers, or both.
Same issue at some "sister" facilities and the same feelings on the 8821s.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The jabber login flow is that once you identify yourself CUCM will return the list of devices associated to you, and then choose the right one to use depending on what Jabber client you use (assuming you have multiple options as you do), you need the user/device association for this to work.

Sounds like you might need EM along with Jabber for this.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Point me toward the EM you are referring to?

Extension Mobility

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jabber has never supported Extension Mobility though, nor does its replacement the Webex app. Options that I can think of:

• Create a user account that everyone know the password to (InfoSec will hate this)
  • Have users login as themselves, each with a unique DN, and then use a Hunt Pilot to ring multiple users
  • Use a dedicated handset with that shared DN on it such as the Cisco Wireless Phone 800 Series.

Thanks, that's what I'm finding out. Was trying to find an alternate solution to the cp-8821 phones as they are junk hardware wise. Drop them from 6 inches and the mic breaks, or the speakers, or both.
Same issue at some "sister" facilities and the same feelings on the 8821s.

Spectralink is the other popular OEM for WIFI phones that can register to CUCM.

Jabber is user centric. As such you cannot from what I know do what you ask about, ie “set it up so that extension 1111 can login to the jabber app without assigning to a user associated with active directory”.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: