cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber windows application stuck on "Signing in..."

Josh29118
Level 1
Level 1

The user is working from home, company VPN working as intended, and they had changed their windows account password this morning. 

User's credentials were not being accepted after the password change, so I went to reset Jabber but to no avail. I suspected that there needed to be a manual sync so the AD password change would be recognized on Jabber's end. 

However, an hour later she comes back with the attached screenshot stating that Jabber is stuck on signing in. 

I resolved this issue for someone else just yesterday who was also working from home by recreating their user profile in windows, but I was wondering if there was another way to prevent Jabber from trying to log in with out of date credentials. 

I've gone into the local app data for Jabber before to resolve issues where Jabber prevents any further sign in attempts by removing the following temp files located in:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Cisco
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\local\Cisco

With that in mind, is there any way I can remove a cache file that will clear this constant spinning signing in screen? 

For example, the Chrome browser stores passwords in a file located in the app data folder, and that can be copied over to a new laptop or stored on the cloud. 

A work-around is to run the Jabber application as a different user and it'll prompt for the username and password normally again. 

However, come next week their laptop will have been powered off and Jabber will open as their user by default, and the forever spinning login screen will be back. Really don't want to have to recreate a user profile again, but I already informed her to start backing up her files over the weekend.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

So, I already tried clearing the Jabber temp folders the day I created this thread, but to no avail. 

However, I tried again this morning and cleared her app data cache folders for Jabber and it worked...

First, I needed to see if clearing those Jabber app data folders was going to affect the current Jabber account logged in, so I exited Jabber (app was ran as my acct. and end-user Jabber account logged in), permanently deleted the two Jabber folders, ran Jabber again as my windows account, and Jabber was reset to the login screen. 

So, that proves that the login is cached in those folders, BUT I swear I already tired that last Friday.

I did the same process with her user profile's app data. I ensured Jabber was exited, permanently deleted those two Jabber folders, ran Jabber as different user (used her windows credentials), and Jabber was reset to the login screen. Yay!

I swear I tried that already last Friday, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. 

View solution in original post

Glad to hear that. One question, for what reason did you mark your own post as the accepted solution to your question?

Response Signature

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

As you yourself wrote removing the following directories C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Cisco and C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\local\Cisco to resolve the issue sounds like a better option than to remove the entire user profile on the computer.

Response Signature

So, I already tried clearing the Jabber temp folders the day I created this thread, but to no avail. 

However, I tried again this morning and cleared her app data cache folders for Jabber and it worked...

First, I needed to see if clearing those Jabber app data folders was going to affect the current Jabber account logged in, so I exited Jabber (app was ran as my acct. and end-user Jabber account logged in), permanently deleted the two Jabber folders, ran Jabber again as my windows account, and Jabber was reset to the login screen. 

So, that proves that the login is cached in those folders, BUT I swear I already tired that last Friday.

I did the same process with her user profile's app data. I ensured Jabber was exited, permanently deleted those two Jabber folders, ran Jabber as different user (used her windows credentials), and Jabber was reset to the login screen. Yay!

I swear I tried that already last Friday, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. 

Glad to hear that. One question, for what reason did you mark your own post as the accepted solution to your question?

Response Signature

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suggest turning logging up to debug on DirSync and enabling a packet capture on the publisher if LDAP is not using TLS. CUCM does not sync passwords from AD. The credentials are passed through to the configured domain controllers to perform authentication. Does that happen and what is the response? If it fails with a password you’re certain is correct, try pointing the LDAP Authentication at whichever DC you changed the password on. If it works at that point you have an AD domain replication issue. If it succeeds you can turn your attention to Jabber logs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: