Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber without AnyConnect

Melany Nolan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I understand that Cisco recommends using Jabber outside the corporate network via AnyConnect, but if we chose not to deploy AnyConnect, and the ASA has the UC proxy license, is it still able to use Jabber outside the LAN? I tested cannot...not sure if anyone has tried successful before?

I also did some research on this, the UC Proxy license also support CUPC on iPhone but seems CUPC is being replaced by Jabber?

So the UC Proxy license is only useful for hard phones only?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Donald Jones
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Melany,

Currently, the recommended way to connect a Jabber client to the on-premise deployment is by utilizing the the AnyConnect client.

One way to utilize the Jabber IM/Presence portion without requiring AnyConnect is to get WebEx Connect. The voice/video portion currently will require the VPN connection to function outside of the network.

UC Proxy on the ASA is only supported up to CUCM version 8.0 (not 8.5 or 8.6) and supports most of the 79xx series phones. It did not work with CUPC. Now you can use Phone VPN (Anyconnect License on ASA) via the ASA and CUCM version 8.0 and higher. This will provide the ability to also tunnel video and works on more models of phones.

Thanks,

Don