Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber

erinedison
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Can someone please help me with the below query.

do we need license for Jabber,if so which type (basic or enhanced)

we need jabber soft client to make and recieve internal/external calls.

our cluster: Pub,1xSub

CUCM :10.5.2

what we need is 

new extension for jabber clients at cucm

jabber to make and receive calls.

Thanks in advance,

Erin

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ryan Huff
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Erin,

In 10.x, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence server is RTU (Right To Use) and does not require server licensing (although entitlement is achived through a valid UCSS / SNTC contract).

The actual Cisco Jabber software client can be downloaded from Cisco's website, installed and configured on a user's PC. However, the process of user configuration in Cisco Unified Communications Manager to facilitate IM & Presence capabilities for the user will consume a CUWL Standard (or possibly a CUWL Professional license) which would be managed in the Prime License Manager server.

The best place to start would be with your Cisco AM.

Thanks,

Ryan

View solution in original post

Welcome! Please let me know if I can offer any other help.

Thanks,

Ryan

= Please rate helpful posts =

In addition to Ryan's correct response (+5), one thing to add is that if you are deploying Jabber for IM/P only you do not need any license under Jabber for everyone program. If however you need to use Jabber as softphone then you need to defined a CSF device (Jabber for windows/mac) in CUCM which will require a license. If you have CUWL licenses one CUWL license covers up to 10 devices, so a user can have desk phone + Jabber devices. UCL enhanced plus could also be an option as that supports up to 2 devices per user.

8 Replies 8

Ryan Huff
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Erin,

In 10.x, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence server is RTU (Right To Use) and does not require server licensing (although entitlement is achived through a valid UCSS / SNTC contract).

The actual Cisco Jabber software client can be downloaded from Cisco's website, installed and configured on a user's PC. However, the process of user configuration in Cisco Unified Communications Manager to facilitate IM & Presence capabilities for the user will consume a CUWL Standard (or possibly a CUWL Professional license) which would be managed in the Prime License Manager server.

The best place to start would be with your Cisco AM.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks Ryan,

Welcome! Please let me know if I can offer any other help.

Thanks,

Ryan

= Please rate helpful posts =

In addition to Ryan's correct response (+5), one thing to add is that if you are deploying Jabber for IM/P only you do not need any license under Jabber for everyone program. If however you need to use Jabber as softphone then you need to defined a CSF device (Jabber for windows/mac) in CUCM which will require a license. If you have CUWL licenses one CUWL license covers up to 10 devices, so a user can have desk phone + Jabber devices. UCL enhanced plus could also be an option as that supports up to 2 devices per user.

Hi Chris,

I have created CSF device(jabber) for mac.

on implementation,

able to get the ip address.

but device registration failed out.

from packet capture,found its not reaching out to  TFTP server,though tftp is mentioned in option 160.

FYI,

CUCM 10.5.2

i did not install any plugin's (COP) or any at CUCM other than creating CSF device.

please advise/direct ..

Thanks,

Erin

Hi Ryan,

I have created CSF device(jabber) for mac.

on implementation,

able to get the ip address.

but device registration failed out.

from packet capture,found its not reaching out to  TFTP server,though tftp is mentioned in option 160.

FYI,

CUCM 10.5.2

i did not install any plugin's (COP) or any at CUCM other than creating CSF device.

please advise/direct ..

Thanks,

Erin

Hi Erin,

If your Jabber client isn't able to communicate to the TFTP server I would first start by verifying that the PC (or Mac in this case) can communicate with the Unified Communications Manager and Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence server (by IP address and by DNS entry).

The Jabber client is just that, a piece of client software, riding on top of the connectivity that the underlying host (PC, Mac, Mobile Device ... etc) provides. The PC/Mac/Mobile Device must first be able to communicate to the servers (in the same fashion IP/DNS) that you would expect the Jabber client to communicate. The Jabber client doesn't nessicarily have to be on the same network as the UC servers, but does have to have two way communication (port reference guide)

Also keep in mind, if you are attempting an external connection (or a connection through a firewall) this is not natively supported without using VPN. To use VPN-less external connections you need to deploy Jabber MRA (Mobile Remote Access) using the Expressway series.

Assuming that the Jabber client host can communicate to the UC servers and you are not attempting a connect through a firewall; other areas to look at are:

• CCMCIP Profile in the Unified Communications IM & Presence server (do you have the right TFTP servers specified and are the Presence and IM users assigned to the profile)?
  • UC Service in Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence server has all the right IP addresses/host names for the particular services?
  • Is the correct Service Profile in Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence being advertised to the user?

-Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply.

do i need the below to be mentioned in CSF device ?,i need Jabber just to make/receive internal phone calls.Also for Presence we use Esna-Office Linx server.

• CCMCIP Profile in the Unified Communications IM & Presence server (do you have the right TFTP servers specified and are the Presence and IM users assigned to the profile)?
  • UC Service in Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence server has all the right IP addresses/host names for the particular services?
  • Is the correct Service Profile in Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence being advertised to the user?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: