cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No video/audio with Jabber guest

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

I'm able to connect calls but I get no audio or video in either direction.  According to the install guide "Cisco Jabber Guest media does not go through the traversal link between Cisco Expressway-E and Cisco Expressway-C" and "Inbound firewall rules are required to allow media to flow from the Cisco Expressway-E to Cisco Expressway-C."

Does this mean that I need to open up my firewall to that large range of ports to allow the RTP traffic from the Expressway Edge to get to the Expressway C?  Is it not possible to create a travesal zone for the jabber guest media to use?  Thanks,  Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mike - in Jabber Guest 10.0(2), you cannot use the traversal zone for media in the single NIC case.  However, we will look to qualify this in the next release.  Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hello

Should be a firewall between both of them and open the required ports, expressway-c and expressway-e.

Kind;y check the below link:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X8-1/Mobile-Remote-Access-via-Expressway-Deployment-Guide-X8-1-1.pdf

Thanks

please rate all useful information

Islam.kamal, I'm not doing MRA here, just jabber guest.  Totally different.

Did you manage to get anywhere with this? I'm trying the same setup as you (single nic) but can't get audio or video to work (the call connects, but no media).

james

Still working on it.  Did you read through this whole thread?  It goes off in a couple of directions. 

Hi Mike,

Need your help ... Have you faced below issue..

I am deploying jabber Guest setup but facing same problem of No Audio and Video , but I managed to get Audio but still there is no Video on either side.

I tried configuring jabber guest setup with both single and dual NIC but still not able reslove

Version details

Jabber Guest Server - 10.5.3.115

Expressway C and E - X8.5.1

Thanks ,

Vinod

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

Anyone? 

Hello,
The media will flow differently depending on which configuration you have deployed. For single NIC Expressway-E, the media flows over a range of ports between E and C. For dual NIC Expressway-E, the media will flow via the traversal zone.
The ports for both are outlined in the install guide, under "Ports and Protocols".

Which have you deployed? Do you have NAT or PAT? Where is your firewall deployed?

-mike

I have a single NIC no NAT. Why can't Jabber guest use a traversal zone in this scenario just like other telepresence calls?  This is what I don't understand. 

when deployed in single NIC, the JG server sends the signaling to the C. In that case, the E is used as a TURN server only; propogate the media. It's not part of the signaling, so doesn't have a way to know to use the traversal zone.

In the dual NIC deployment, JG server sends the signaling to the E, which forwards it to the C via the traversal zone. In that case, the E can and does use the traversal zone for the media.

-mike

That's great if your Expressway has a dual NIC, but mine doesn't.  If JG can't use a traversal zone for media on an Expressway with a single NIC then that is a serious limitiation.  I've heard that this is not an issue with JG 10.2.  Do you know if that's accurate?  Thanks,  Mike

Hi Mike - in Jabber Guest 10.0(2), you cannot use the traversal zone for media in the single NIC case.  However, we will look to qualify this in the next release.  Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

Mike, I tried your suggestion and it's almost working.  I now get one way audio/video to the Jabber Guest client, but no video from Jabber Guest.  I took a packet capture on the exp-core and the C20 that I'm calling and I do see UDP packets being received.  Also, when I look at the call stats on the C20 it is showing call stats for video, but the numbers are odd, especially the resolution.  To me it seems like the media is making it through but the call isn't being set up correctly.

Sorry, what I meant was I followed your suggestion to use the Edge for call control for Jabber Guest.