cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Unknown file format" in Network Recording Player (PC)

jachtenberg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm new to WebEx and trying to do some editing on .arf recordings created by a coworker.  I have a persistent issue that we can't seem to find a solution for.  Any help would be gold.

Short summary:  I have Network Recording Player on both PC (version 2.31) and Mac (Version 29.9.2.10068).

I can open the .arf files on Mac but can't do any conversion (the option isn't available). On Network Recording Player on PC, which should be able to open and convert, I get the error: "Unknown file format.  You may update your Network Recording Player and try again."

As far as I know, the NRP on PC is the latest version.  What's going on?

I have also seen mentions of other solutions in the discussions.  Has anyone had success with any other methods?

Cheers,

Jesse

PC:  Windows 7 Enterprise, Intel Core 2 2.83 GHz Quad

Mac: OSX 10.6.8, 2x2.93 Intel Xeon Quad

21 Replies 21

Dirk-Jan Uittenbogaard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hope that what I have seen before helps:

Q: What is the Webex site-version that you downloaded the NBR player from? (WBS28.12, WBS29? see help/about)

Q: With which Webex site-version was the recording created? (WBS28.12, WBS29?)

This message can appear if your NBR player is version WBS28.x and the recording was created with (for example) WBS29.x, which uses a different recording method.

Test: Change your NBR player to the one that 'belongs to' the site (version) used to create the recording...  Or newer. Downward compatibility should not be a problem.

I received a new .arf created with WBS29 and the the latest NBR (2.31) on webex.com won't play it.  Perhaps providing a download selection so we can work around the format incompatibilities would be a good thing.

jbouwsma1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having the same issue, tried removing and re-installing the latest version of the Network Recording Player twice.

I'm on a Mac - using NRP v2.31 and created the .arf using the latest version of the Webex Site (with the new layout, recently updated -can't find the version nr).

duittenb can you provide any further help/support? This doesn't seem to be an isolated issue.

Dirk-Jan Uittenbogaard
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you contacted Webex Support? If not, please do so. It is important to put this on record so it can be fixed if it turns out it's a product issue.

DJ

mcclainl78
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the exact same issue as referenced in this feed.  Bummer, I was hoping someone here had an answer!  Going to contact Webex Support

santthosh
Level 1
Level 1

Running into the exact same issue, contacted Webex Support

Hi, I have the same issue - did you get anywhere with Webex Support?

mcclainl78
Level 1
Level 1

Went back and forth with webex support until I just didn't have time anymore...they kept telling me to uninstall and re-install the NRP and saying that the .arf file was created with a newer version than I had.  I'd done that a dozen times already and was frankly tired of saying that over and over...short answer, no

cliffcordeiro
Level 1
Level 1

I had this same problem. The version that is available on http://www.webex.com/play-webex-recording.html is from 2011 (version 2.31) and will not play newer recordings.

If you have a webex account, go to Support Center -> Support -> Downloads -> Recording and Playback and install the one you find there. The one I just installed is from 2014 (version 29.10.1.10115) and works for the latest recordings I have.

Finally...this worked!!!!  Seems Webex needs to update the link on their site.  Their support team kept sending me to that very place to download.

Thanks so much!!

Thank you, Cliff, for that solution. Here is some more information from WebEx Support. It appears that some users are going to support.webex.com>click support>click support utilities>downloading the legacy NBR converter. This is an older player that would not be compatible with ARF's that are generated on newer site versions.

The best method for users to resolve this issue is to download the NBR player that is associated with the host's WebEx site. If further assistance is needed, please contact WebEx support for individualized help.

Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communities

I have read all the posts on this and still cannot play a recording in the .arf format.

I have the latest Network Recording Player version 30.4.1.10006 E (specific for .arf file type) from the WebEx site and it continues to give me the following: Unknown file format.  etc.   I am using a Mac and have reinstalled this several times.  If this is the latest player and is backwards compatible how come this does not work?  I believe that the recording was made with the WebEx NBR2 player.  Thanks for any help.  This is very frustrating indeed.  Wasting a lot of time on this.

Barry,

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with your Network Recording Player. At this point, I recommend you open a case with WebEx support so they can work with you on your set up and individual requirements.

Support Tools and Resources | WebEx

Kelli Glass

O.M.G. Thank you so much for this!! I have wasted approximately a day and a half trying to figure out what's the problem and why did this work before, but not now!! I am just trying to meet my CEU's and this has been INSANELY horrible to not be able open files pertaining to collecting specific medical data! Thank you. You are a lifesaver.     

This worked like a charm, and now I'm slightly less of a trainwreck. Thank you again!!

Support Center -> Support -> Downloads -> Recording and Playback and install the one you find there. The one I just installed is from 2014 (version 29.10.1.10115) and works for the latest recordings I have.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: