cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Status shows offline even after logging in

atulkaul1985
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, when I login into Jabber for Windows, it shows the status as 'offline' to the other users, hence it does not allow to send chat messages as well.

I have integrated CUPS with active directory, is it manditory to integrate CUCM also with active directory? My CUCM is not integrated with AD. Can this be a resolution of my above mentioned problem? Chances are very rare, but then, no idea on the resolution.

Kindly help.

13 Replies 13

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

YOu don't have to integrate CUCM to AD, but it helps!

If you are not AD-integrating CUCM, then you need to:

- Ensure that the usernames in CUPS match the usernames in LDAP. Otherwise when someone looks you up, the system cannot determine which CUCM (and therefore CUPS) user it relates to.

- If your usernames don't match, then you need to set up the LDAP attribute map so that the UserAccountName maps to an attribute that matches your CUCM user ID. E.g. if your CUCM user ID is extension number, map UserAccountName to telephoneNumber instead of sAMAccountName, and ensure that telephoneNumber is correctly populated in AD with your extension number.

Info on JfW attribute maps:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_01011.html#JABW_RF_AA1BEF05_00

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron for th reply. I will definitely check the LDAP attribute because as you mentioned, User ID in call manager is the extension number in my case.

And by the way, I am able to search the users in directory, that is not my problem. The problem is that, the status shows 'offline' to the other users when I am actually logged into Jabber and so, it restricts other users from sending chat messages to me.

Hi Atul

That is what I would except from that scenario if your usernames don't match up.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

Can you please guide how to map UserAccountName to telephoneNumber? It is has to be done in CUCM or somewhere else? Bacuse I can see this option in CUCM, Sysyem--> LDAP--> LDAP system. I dont see this option anywhere in CUPS. Do I need to change it in CUCM, though I am not integrating CUCM with AD?

Hi

It was done (for CUPC) in the CUPS server - in the 'Jabber' menu, under Settings - where you configure the TFTP server addresses, just below that there is a table of attributes. That is still used by Jabber for Mac and some of the other clients.

Jabber for Windows uses an XML file you upload to CUCM; there is a configuration file generator here that will make up the XML for you:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25778

Then upload the resulting file to the CUCM TFTP servers and restart.

Regards

Aaron

No success...:(

One more thing that I want to highlight is, it allows me login into Jabber with User-ID (extention number) in CUCM and does not allow me login with the "Logon user name" in the active directory...why so? I have intergrated CUPS with AD, it should allow me to login with the Logon user name i.e. name of the user.

Hi

You can log in with extension number because your user ID in CUCM is your extension number.

Your user ID in AD is not your extension number, it is your 'logon user name'.

Therefore, if you check your configuraton in System/LDAP/LDAP System in CCMAdmin,you will see that username is mapped to another field, most likely telephoneNumber.

Therefore, I can only repeat my explanation above - your attribute maps are not correct.

Can you post up:

-screen grabs of your CUPS attribute map page

-a copy of your jabber XML config file

Aaron

Hi,

When I check the configuration in System/LDAP/LDAP System in CCMAdmin, I see that the user ID is mapped to saMAccountName, and not telephoneNumber.

Also, in CUPS attribute map page, I tried mapping User ID with saMAccountName, it did not work. Then I also tried it mapping with telephonenumber. Still the issue persists.

In CUPC LDAP attribute mapping, I tried mapping User ID with saMAccountName as well, it did not work.

Now, please suggest where the mapping has to be changed exactly in CUP.

Hi Atul

Your screen grab of the LDAP config page in CUCM shows that LDAP sync is not enabled.

When you are not synced to LDAP, you need to ensure that every user in CUCM can be 'matched' to a user in LDAP.

You have previously stated that you log in to CUCM with extension number. When you log into AD, you will probably log in with another field - e.g. atul.kaul, therefore the two accounts are not 'matched'.

To make them match, you must put your CUCM user ID in an LDAP attribute on your account. You must then specify that attribute in two places:

For JfW - you must use the jabber-configuration.xml file on the CUCM TFTP server, using the configuration tool I referenced above.

For other clients you will need to set the same attribute in the LDAP attribute map in CUPS.

Aaron

Hi Aaron, You are right that LDAP config page in CUCM shows that LDAP sync is not enabled. bacause CUCm is not integrated with AD. Now, as you said, every user in CUCM can be matched to a user in LDAP.

I did not get the meaning of the sentense, To make them match, you must put your CUCM user ID in an LDAP attribute on your account. Does that mean, I need to change the "user logon name" in AD to the extension number i.e. user ID in CUCM?

In jabber-config.xml file, I have already mapped it to telephoneNumber.

-

-

telephoneNumber

Hi

No, you don't need to change the AD username. If you have set telephonenumber as user ID in jabebr-conf, and your user ID is 1234 in CUCM for example, you should set the telephonenumber attribute in AD to 1234.

Now when CUP finds a user with telephonenumber=1234, it finds your account, and knows it should be 'matched' to your CUCM account.

Is that clearer?

Aaron

Hi Aaron, this is what I have done. In the above jabber-config file, if you see,I have set telephoneNumber as user ID. And also, user id in CUCM is telephone number. So, ideally it should work, right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: