cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stoping flashing WebEx taskbar icon on Windows?

tomr000011
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to prevent WebEx from making its windows taskbar icon start flashing an alert every time the presenter changes slides?

I hope this isn't news to Cicso, but many people perform other tasks while watching a presentation in the background.  It's very disruptive to have the taskbar constantly pop up and start flashing for attention.  For example, in the course of typing this question, I've had to stop and dismiss a webex alert four times. Please, please, please, if this feature isn't currently in webex, consider adding it soon.

Make that five times. Ok, sixth time while I was fixing a spelling error.

Thanks.

22 Replies 22

b dozer
Level 1
Level 1

This is a real problem.  Very annoying.  Well, maybe when it decided it needs to take focus (especially while typing) is worse...

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Please fix this obnoxious behavior!   I need a way to disable the taskbar coming back onto my screen and the icon flashing over my windows because somebody joined/left the meeting!   Turn it into a config setting or get rid of the notification altogether.    

mr2502101
Level 1
Level 1

Please Cisco.   This is a frustrating user experience for me.  I have tried everything.  Hide the participants panel (it keeps coming back), minimize the panel, it reopens.   All of it causes the flashing on the toolbar.  It is a useless distraction.   Please change it.

Another vote to please fix this ridiculous behavior.  Other programs that blink on the taskbar will at least stop after a while.  WebEx blinks both the taskbar and the program window forever until I return mouse focus to it, even when there is NOTHING that requires interaction or viewing.  It's incredibly annoying that WebEx refuses to let us background it on the screen or move the window to a second monitor while we listen to conferences.  Beginning a Google search for "stop webex" results in multiple search suggestions at the top related to this problem; clearly lots of people are looking for fixes or workarounds even if they're not posting here.

thombrooks
Level 1
Level 1

Hear, hear. Very annoying. Even if it's on, make it a preference we can disable, please.

Adam T
Level 1
Level 1

+1

Just ridiculous and annoying.

Edit:

Attached is a script in PowerShell to fix the issue temporarily.

REVIEW ALL CODE BEFORE YOU RUN IT OFCOURSE

Jason Lingohr
Level 1
Level 1

Agreed.  This is so unbelievably idiotic!

I cannot comprehend why anyone would think this was a good idea.

twiggles
Level 1
Level 1

This is really pissing me off to the point that I'll recommend other solutions moving forward.

JasonMaitlen
Level 1
Level 1

Created an account just to say the same thing, please fix this!

mats.bjur
Level 1
Level 1

Yes! I've just started using WebEx, and this feels like a throw-back to the 90's. It is extremely annoying to get your text typing interrupted by windows shifting focus away from the application you might be using.

Please fix!

This is driving me crazy!

This is so annoying! Cisco, why have you not created a solution for this yet!?

ni0h
Level 1
Level 1

I am a unix admin.  On conferences, I am usually called upon to perform tasks... as root, on production systems.  For all you button-pushers out there, that means in text, on the commandline, most of the time.  Except right after I log in, or have just run clear, the cursor is usually at the bottom of the screen, and every time a different person speaks on the call, and at other times with no action I can discern, the taskbar pushes up and hides what I am typing.  I'm an exceptional typist, but I read every command I'm running twice before entering - immediately, then again after clearing my mind of the task so I can read the command as if I were the shell running it.  Having to flip back and forth to and from webex to get the bottom of my screen back is a significant irritant.... akin to reading a newspaper and having somebody smack the back side of the paper every few seconds.  I have frequently signed off conferences, done my work, and signed back in, because of this malicious feature.  Please let us make it stop.   
I always advocate for gotomeeting when there's a choice, because of this, but so many vendors prefer webex.

EricArellano
Level 1
Level 1

This is the stupidest "feature" yet Cisco!  Please, please fix this.  Windows should have a way to turn off ANY app from flashing the taskbar, if it does please let me know.  But shame on Cisco for not being better 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: