cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TAR File for 8831

Susan Arbogast
Level 1
Level 1

I've uploaded the Tar file for Cisco IP phone 8831, as our current Call Manager doesn't have this phone type.

I have completed this before a time or two, but it's been a long time, so I was hoping to be refreshed on the steps to be taken once the TAR file has been uploaded & the TFTP service restarted on each CM in the Cluster.

Cisco is telling me that a complete device pack upgrade needs to be installed on all servers to revise the firmware for all our endpoints.  I know I have completed this before for a single device.  I'm unable to get clarity on exactly why I need to install an entire device pack (after hours) and disrupt all my phones, just because I want to install the 8831 & get it working.  Does anyone know if this info is accurate or may I proceed with the TAR file for 8831? 

Our cluster has (1) Publisher & (2) Subscribers.  All are CUCM running Software Version:  8.5.1.15900-4

Any info provided will be much appreciated!!

1 Reply 1

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Susan you will need to install the complete device pack. The reason being its not just firmware, the device pack contains all files needed to add the support for new phones. You will need to install the device pack on all nodes and reboot the cluster. 

Follow below instructions from readme:

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074299/119109/cmterm-devicepack8.5.1_17133-1_Release_Notes.pdf

Please also note when you apply device pack it will update firmware of all devices. There are ways to stop that, just search this community if you dont want to let that happen.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts and mark the thread as answered if you have no other queries.