cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TelePresence interoperability with Microsoft OCS 2007

mguguvcevski
Level 1
Level 1

Has anybody employed the Cisco TelePresence interoperability with Microsoft OCS 2007 and how does it work in practice ?

Besides the Cisco Unified Videoconferencing 3500 Series MCU is the Cisco Unified Videoconferencing Manager (CUVM) needed ?

How many ports does a TelePresence interoperability session statically reserve on the MCU ?

25 Replies 25

kitopits
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco TelePresence interoperability with Microsoft OCS utilizes the CUVC MCU.  The CUVC MCU allows any common video endpoints - H.323, H.320, SCCP, SIP, MOC to participate in a TelePresence multipoint meeting (hosted on CTMS).   The capacity for number of videoconferencing endpoints is dependent on the port capacity of the CUVC.   The 3515 has 12 port and 24 port models.  The 3545 support a maximum of 24 ports in a single meeting.  Since the linkage (cascade) between CTMS and CUVC is 1 CTMS segment and 1 CUVC port per meeting, the maximum number of VC endpoints on a 3515/12 is 11, and the maximum for a 3515/24 or 3545 is 23.   CUVC-M is not required (or used) in an interop meeting.

Operationaly, the MOC client places a call to the conferenceing number of the meeting on the CUVC.  The CUVC will then "call back" to the MOC client.  So from MOC you dial the number, immediately get an incoming call, and select answer.  At this point the MOC client is connected with audio and video to the interop meeting - juset like any other VC endpoint.

After a debate with the Cisco TelePresence technical team and a review of Cisco Unified Videoconferencing data sheets on the IPVC MCU and Cisco Unified Videoconferencing Manager, the result is that the CUVCM is a prerequisite and a must for configuring TelePresence interoperability with Microsoft OCS 2007 server and clients.

A quote from Cisco website on Cisco Unified Videoconferencing 3515 MCU 5.6:

"When deployed with the Cisco Unified Videoconferencing Manager application, Cisco Unified Videoconferencing enhances the collaboration capabilities of Microsoft Office Communicator and Lotus Sametime by adding support for standards-based, multiparticipant video. Microsoft Office Communicator and Lotus Sametime users can initiate impromptu video communications with other Microsoft Office Communicator and Lotus Sametime users and with any video solution that can connect to Cisco Unified Videoconferencing, including Cisco TelePresence Systems."

The Cisco Unified Videoconferencing Manager terminates SIP signaling.

Regarding the number of MCU ports required, the answer to my previous post explains the topic in detail.

This is correct, the MOC integration require the use of the CUV-M and configuration to enable SIP on both MCU and CUV-M (CUV-M = CUV Manager). For the port usage, think of that as each end point will consume 1 port on MCU as well as each cascaded link will consume 1 port on the MCU. If you enable recording feature that is additional port on MCU. When working with Desktop Server and Streaming, there is one port used on MCU for streaming application (one way participation in video conference) however actively participating desktop clients (two way audio/viedeo/H.239) will consume 1 port each, which is essentially same using another video terminal. Same will apply to MOC, each MOC participant will consume 1 port on the MCU.

When the CUVC calls back the MOC, how does it determine what number to call back?  Is it based on the SIP URI?

It is all based on the SIP URI, user input in to the tab in MOC the meetingID, then click  join, CUVM  will construct the SIP URI based on the xml config file and have the MCU to  outdial back to OCS server and then MOC client will get call back....

tphamaccudata
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Team,

Is the Cisco Unified VC Manager (CUVM) required for MOC integration because of the SIP protocol?  I want to confirm that I do not need this additional software / hardware piece for standard interop with CUVA, Webex, and Tandberg / Polycom devices.  I am planning on just booking the Multipoint Switch and the CUVC units themselves.

Thanks!

The Cisco Unified Videoconferencing Manager is not needed in an interoperability scenario with the Cisco Unified Video Advantage.

This installation works and is tested with all TelePresence endpoints. As for Tandberg/Polycom goes I am not sure.

Yes, CUV-Manager is required for MOC integration, however today the CTMS 1.6 and CUVC integration is only supported in ad-hoc direct mode w/o the CUV-M involved. We are working on the future release to have the CUV-M software suite to be part of the CTMS/CUVC integration and deployment model.

Yes, your CUVA and other H.323/SIP based room devices will be able to join and integrate in to CTMS/CUVC call w/o the CUV-Manager.

Please remember that purchase of the CUVC (MCU) only w/o the CUV-Manager, will allow you to create ad-hoc H.323/SIP conference and/or to integrate SCCP partition as video resource bridge in CUCallManager for "conference" button on the IP phone, however w/o the CUV-Manager software suite you will not

be able to get benefit of the features such as: Automatic cascading and Multi-site meetings, MCU redundancy, Virtual Room, Scheduling and reservation, reporting and CDR, System and network management, streaming application, recording application, Desktop server and client, possible WebEx and/or IBM sametime integration and many more features which are essential part of the overal videoconferencing user experience and easy of use.

Hi Experts,

I have one customer who already has Cisco TelePresence CTS 3000 with CTM 1.4.0.0.

His requirements is to be able to initiate only one Video call between this CTS and Microsoft Office Communicator (OCS 2007) client.

Could you please tell me what are the extra product that i need to order from Cisco in order to make this solution functional?

Thanks in advance

They will have to wait and upgrade to CTS/CTMS 2.0 release and purchase CUVC 7.1 with 5110 MCU.

These releases are currently targeted for Q2-Q3CY2010.  Other option may be MXE3000 platform,

however I am not familiar with the OCS and MXE integration and not sure if it will be supported

Thanks for your fast reponse.

I checked the documentation for CTMS it is saying that CTMS is used to connect 3 or more CTSs in one video conference call.

and it can be used in conjestion with CUVC to provide TelePresence interoperability with other SIP or what ever video end points.

But my scenario is point to point video call between CTS 3000 and MOC or let us say CUVA camera, so does this scenario require CTMS & CUVC???

As of today, yes there is no other option untill the MXE platform will ship. Please direct your question to Telepresence MXE platform

or search for datasheet on Cisco CCO.  MXE platform will provide point2point capability between other endpoints and CTS endpoint,

however I am not sure if it will support MOC with OCS. I know it is working with other room based H.323 and SIP video devices.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9892/index.html

Dear Mario,

MXE 3000 is a media sharing product, it can not support live time video conferencing.

Any other ideas???

CTMS provides multipoint for Cisco TelePresence endpoints, as well as interoperability using CUVC as a gateway.   Cisco TelePresence endpoints can ONLY make/accept calls to/from other Cisco TelePresence endpoints, or CTMS (or MXE 5600).  There is NO direct connect to H.323, SIP, SCCP, CUVC, CSF, CUPC, MOC, ISDN, PSTN.