I set up a new test environment for v12 UCM, IMP and UCCX. When trying to connect a user via Jabber I get cannot communicate with server. I have installed Jabber with the UPN discover disabled and am using a non domain machine. I set the Advanced Settings in Jabber to use the new FQDN of the IM&P server.
I generated the Jabber problem report, and I see "Failed to retrieve user credentials for profile"
So I neglected to activate the necessary service activation settings. I also needed to create and assign a service profile setting. This allowed me to get a CSF device registered to UCM, still having issues with the CIPC device though.
CIPC last I used it requires the device name to be exactly as expected in the UCM. You can use something generic like <USER>CIPC, this may cause call recording or CTI problems. It doesn't learn anything from the network in my experience, and required you to set the TFTP servers manually by running it as administrator and specifying where it should talk to.