cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex and MST MTR install

0mallen
Level 4
Level 4

I am looking for a step by step installation guide for installing the new MTR app on a room kit, deskpro etc.. including what needs to be one on the ms teams side 

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I’m not aware of a single document that covers all of it. Here is a Cisco resource though: Prepare to onboard Cisco collaboration devices 

From what I know it’s not an app, it’s a brand new OS you put on the device by replacing the standard RoomOS firmware with the MTR firmware.

Response Signature

MTRoA runs inside a container on top of normal RoomOS. Cisco only deploys and starts the container when you select MTR during initial setup. (Microsoft requires the factory reset, supposedly to prevent OEMs from switching in/out of MTR on the fly.)

The delineation between the two is pretty straight forward: anything local to the device (e.g. Cisco’s camera and audio AI features, microphone settings, etc) is managed by RoomOS while the user interface and functionality are [limited to] stock MTRoA. There is one exception unique to Cisco: if the endpoint is registered to Webex Control Hub (Cloud Device Registration license required) in addition to MSFT Teams Admin Center the endpoint can perform a native join to a Webex Meeting and present normal in-meeting Cisco features/UI instead of MSFT’s Direct Guest Join (aka WebRTC and all of it’s limitations). Cisco has also chosen to require WCH registration for xAPI access in MTR mode. For security-conscious environments the container approach also has the advantage of hiding Android behind RoomOS from a network port scan and OS fingerprinting standpoint.

So, for the most part, look to MSFT docs since it’s stock MTRoA, same as any other MTR OEM. Cisco docs still apply if you need to do anything at the local device level as an admin.

AdeBaker
Level 1
Level 1

When the unit is running in MTR mode and connected to Webex Control Hub, does the integration with the Webex App still work? If it does, are there any restrictions? I'm thinking e.g. in-meeting controls might work but you may not be able to walk into an MTR room and pick up the unit on your mobile Webex app.