Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex device Calling to CME phones

Hello All, 

I have webex devices (DX) registered to webex  and CME devices (88xx) and would like to setup calling between the devices. NOT PSTN. 

ISR4321 , IOS 17.9 

Is this a supported solution. I did come across a non-cisco blog which describes how to achieve it. 

https://www.joshualearn.com/2021/10/integrating-webexCalling-and-CME-2of2.html

Also under the services>> calling I don't see adding call routing, trunk, route group etc options. We have messaging and meeting licenses at the moment. I would require calling license as well to see those options? 

We'd like the below solution 

Webex Device >>> Webex >>> SIP TLS >>>> CME >>> 88XX  and vice versa calls established. I don't see any explicitly "not supported" document mention anywhere for now. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1) What you connect via the LGW doesn't matter. You could have a SIP trunk or ISDN to a provider, or just a CUCM cluster, ... Cisco doesn't care what you have "on the other side". The only specify the connection between Webex and the CUBE.

2) Of course you need calling licenses. How else do you want to "call" from the Webex registered devices any destinations, which are not in Webex?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

b.winter
VIP
VIP

You need to register the CUBE as a "Local Gateway".

https://help.webex.com/en-us/jr1i3r/Configure-Local-Gateway-on-IOS-XE-for-Webex-Calling#id_100573

If you search for "Cisco Local Gateway" you may find what you need.

@b.winter Thank you for the doc. I went through it already however, this describes CUBE side of things   on how to setup the secure trunk and dial plan so on and so forth. 

What I'm needing to know is

1) Is webex ---SIP ---CME router (no PSTN calls) supported? I guess not explicitly mentioned and I guess I can make this work. 

2) However, on my webex at the moment. I don't really  see the option of call routing  

I see services>> Calling but no call routing, trunk, route group etc options. Do we need webex calling licenses to enable this? I only have messaging and Meeting license with device

Cos I'll need location, add the LGW, copy the information for configuring on CUBE. But I'll also need to add location to trunk. Trunk is available under services >> calling >> call routing.  I don't even see the call routing for now  

I'm guessing its related to webex calling license but wanted to confirm the same.  

1) What you connect via the LGW doesn't matter. You could have a SIP trunk or ISDN to a provider, or just a CUCM cluster, ... Cisco doesn't care what you have "on the other side". The only specify the connection between Webex and the CUBE.

2) Of course you need calling licenses. How else do you want to "call" from the Webex registered devices any destinations, which are not in Webex?

@b.winter sure, thank. I was afraid I would . I wanted to be sure as the setup I wanted to have was more internal. But I get it, the moment its a SIP trunk going out. Its going out of webex. Makes sense. Thank you again  

You would need Webex Calling licenses for the video endpoints so they have numeric extensions (and optionally a DID) so they can call in/out that SIP trunk. Cloud Device Registration is not sufficient. User, if personal mode, or common area Webex Calling licenses need to be added to your subscription.

Please consider taking this a step further though. Webex Calling is a viable replacement for most (not all, eg key system approach) CME deployments. You could move the 8800 series IP Phones over to Webex Calling and greatly simplify things. If needed, you can use the LGW to leverage existing PSTN circuits instead of porting the DIDs to the cloud directly via Cisco Calling Plan or a Cloud Connect-integrated carrier. It even offers a survivability gateway function now if you need basic calling capabilities internally and the local PSTN circuits during a loss of internet connectivity (eg emergency calls).