Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Meeting Server Migration

conie saga
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

One of our customer has Webex installed in VMWare environment on Demo Licenses.

Customer has purchased dedicated Webex appliance WMS-EZ-C220-50I with permanent licenses.

We need to migrate database from one VMWare to webex appliance & install licenses.

Can any body share the procedure of migrating Webex Database from one VMware to another VMWare ?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, that is a 1U C220 UCS Server.

The process for migrating hosts is as follows; You will need both Host servers to be managed by the same vCentre for this process to work.

Offline migration through VMware vCenter Server

1. Open the VMware vSphere Client and connect to your respective vCenter Server.
  2. Select and display the virtual machine that is to be migrated in the host inventory.
  3. Shut down the virtual machine guest operating system, powering off the virtual machine.
  4. Right-click the virtual machine, and select Migrate from the context menu.
  5. Select Change datastore and click Next.
  6. Select a resource pool, if applicable, and click Next.
  7. Select the destination datastore:
    • To move the virtual machine configuration files and virtual disks to a single destination, select the datastore and click Next.
    • To select specific destinations for the configuration file and individual each virtual disk, click Advanced. In the Datastore column, select a destination for the configuration file and each virtual disk, and click Next.

8. Review the page and click Finish. A task is created that begins the virtual machine's migration process.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1017769

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Richard Simmons
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, 

Is there a reason why you don't want to migrate the existing servers to the new UCS box? This can be done simply via the vCentre and you could then just apply the permanent licences to the server - WebEx has its own Enterprise Licence Management server inbuilt so its simple to request the license for this.

Regards,

Richard

Hi richard,

Thanks for reply.

I believe WMS-EZ-C220-50I is UCS itself .. correct me if i am wrong here ?

So its like we are shifting from one UCS to dedicated UCS Webex server.

Can you share the procedure through vCenter ?

Regards,

Correct, that is a 1U C220 UCS Server.

The process for migrating hosts is as follows; You will need both Host servers to be managed by the same vCentre for this process to work.

Offline migration through VMware vCenter Server

1. Open the VMware vSphere Client and connect to your respective vCenter Server.
  2. Select and display the virtual machine that is to be migrated in the host inventory.
  3. Shut down the virtual machine guest operating system, powering off the virtual machine.
  4. Right-click the virtual machine, and select Migrate from the context menu.
  5. Select Change datastore and click Next.
  6. Select a resource pool, if applicable, and click Next.
  7. Select the destination datastore:
    • To move the virtual machine configuration files and virtual disks to a single destination, select the datastore and click Next.
    • To select specific destinations for the configuration file and individual each virtual disk, click Advanced. In the Datastore column, select a destination for the configuration file and each virtual disk, and click Next.

8. Review the page and click Finish. A task is created that begins the virtual machine's migration process.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1017769

Thank you for details

I will perform this activity within this week & will discuss here if face any issue.

Appreciated your help.

Regards,

Hello Richard,

Both of our host are under different vCenters,

We dont have shared storage for both webex host.

Is there any way to copy host from one server & upload into other ?

Regards

Hi,

There are various tools out there which can help you do this, personally i use VEEAM Backup Free Edition.

http://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html

Regards,

Richard

Thank you richard for quick reply.

So steps should be :

take backup of webex 1.5 using veeam backup tool.

restore it into new host (esxi) using veeam bakcup tool.

can the backup of webex 1.5 be restore on webex 2.0 ?

Regards,

This would be a full server backup so when you restore it to the new VMWare Host it will still be a CWMS 1.5, once restored it can be upgraded to CWMS 2.0

Regards,

Richard

Alright,

Do you have any idea how to upgrade from CWMS 1.5 to CWMS 2.0.

I been through cwms 2.0 admin guide it mentioned two procedure

1- automatic upgrade & 2- manual.

Which one is safe & easier ?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_0/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_01010.html#concept_9552D5BDF2464C0DB4DA8EA250910651

Can i migrate database to cwms 2.0 using method Attaching an Existing VMDK File to a New Virtual Machine from following link ?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_0/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_01.html#task_87B7D07030AC44388CADC0FFE8D7C491

Can i  use file cisco-webex-meetings-server-2.0.1.107.B-AE.ova for upgrade ?

Regards.

Hi,

The upgrade methodology is down to personal choice so go for the one you feel most comfortable in completing.

Yes that media file is OK for the upgrade.

Regards,

Richard