Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
szelenka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Deploying UC has a reputation for being complex.  The good news is that future versions of the Cisco product portfolio will address this complexity, making it even easier to get a pilot up and running in a minimal amount of time.  Even better news is that if you're on older UC code, you can still deploy a sizable pilot of UC/Jabber in under 8 hours!

This doc is meant to be a "best practices" doc capturing the quickest, most tried and true method of getting the Jabber experience going as quickly as possible on existing versions of UC code.

Community input is greatly appreciated!  Please feel free to contribute based on your experiences!

2012-07-05: added scripts to handle jabber-config.xml file creation

Comments
Eric Knudson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Great guide, Scott! A teammate pointed this guide out, thanks a bunch for putting it together. I run PoCs all the time and will definitely use this as a guide and provide feedback.

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In it you mention

Specific for CUP/CUPC, this paper will not explore or implement the following features:

• High-availability
  • Redundancy

Can you comment of if this is available with Jabber for Everyone?

szelenka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I modified the wording to make it more clear.  There are many features available in the client (depending on the deployment type) which this document simply does not go indepth explaining.  For most pilots (I assume) we just want to get the client up and working to demo it's main features.  While high-availability, redundancy, and federation are more advanced features with the infrastructure which isn't something you can easily observe while demo-ing the client, so I left them out for brevity.

mitpatil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott,

I went through  Support Forum  “ 200 + user jabber pilot in one day “ . Thanks for posting such a wonderful document . I did all what ever mentioned in the document .

Only challenges are with Jabber-config.xml file !  I have attached AD server Print Screen shot ( Refer : ldapserver1 & ldapserver2 .jpg ) ,will appreciate if you can help me with appropriate setting required in jabber-config .xml for this environment .

Also I have posted some basic questions ( maybe )  ,can you please help me with answers !

Q1 :  What should be the Domain Name in CUPS --- Cluster Topology --- Settings  ---Domain Name ?

Q2:  What are the mandatory fields in jabber configuration file ?  My Users in AD are in default directory ( Print Screen Attached #  sercocu.com ----sercogroup ) 

Q3: Which option should be selected ?  EDI  or UCS ?  Under EDI  -- When to select  Global Catalog & when to select Domain Controller ?

Q4:  Search Base OU in Jabber Configuration file  ,is it MUST ? Windows credential in Jabber config file

Q5 :  Can CUCM be a TFTP Server ? Or is it mandatory to have  External TFTP server for hosting jabber-config.xml file ?

Thanks in advance .

Regards,

Mitesh Patil

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Scott,

Excellent Job!..

I ha dlove for you to clarify a few things here on Application dial rules and directory lookup rules..

Application Dial Rule

NOTE: This is a legacy field used with CUPC, Jabber relies on the configuration specified in the jabber-config.xml file on the CUCM server for this. This statement here

Application Dial Rule

NOTE: This is a legacy field used with CUPC, Jabber relies on the configuration specified in the jabber-config.xml file on the CUCM server for this

I dont quite understand this or agree with it. My last session in Cisco Live london2013 we used a directory lookup rule with Jaber 9.2 and cisco IM and Presence server 9.0. So this looks like its relevant for Jabber not just for CUPC.

Also how will you define application dial rules within the jabber-config file?

vballapu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does Scott or any have seen similair doc for CUCM 9.X and CUCM IM/p 9.X?

szelenka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The same methods would work for 9.x, however some of the naming may have changed slightly.  The core configuration sections are still the same between 8.x and 9.x.  I believe starting with 10.x there will be a different, more streamlined, flow to the configuration/deployment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: