Views
Helpful
Replies

Decision based on week of the month

emikelso
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have a support team that wants to rotate on-call based on the week of the month. 

Weeks 1 - 4 route to different people based on the time of day. How can I 'count' the week of the month? One thought is to populate an external document, but that needs to be maintained yearly. Can I use some other logic to get the date, and perhaps count the day of the year and make a decision  based on that?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Samuel Womack
Level 5
Level 5

This is an interesting question...and at the moment I can't think of a solution outside your parameters..Here is what I would do..if you have the proper licenses.

//Create a New Calendar Object
java.util.Calendar cal = getInstance();
//Set the Day of the Week to Monday for Our Purposes
cal.set(cal.DAY_OF_WEEK, 2);
//Count which Monday 1-x we are in the Month
int weekMon = cal.get(cal.DAY_OF_WEEK_IN_MONTH);

Now perform your Logic..

switch(weekMon){
    case 1://Fall Through
    case 2://Set Logic
        //Route To Group 1
        break; //Go do that Thing
    case 3: //Fall Through
    case 4: //Set Logic
        //Route to Group 2
        break; //Go do work
    default:
        //Some Months have more Mondays than Others..What will we do?
        //No need to "break" here
}

This is really to just get you started thinking about how to tackle your problem..there are some slight issues with the logic above (maybe). It get's somewhat tricky at the end/beginning of the Month..for instance..if the Logic fell on March 1 then setting the Day of Week to Monday would have made us go back to Feb 24..but you would still fall in "Week 4" according to the Week of Month Logic..even though we are now in a new month..Good luck in your testing..