cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Peripheral Gateway JTAPI User Controlled device limits?

hi_robb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to find out in simple terms what the capacity is on peripheral gateways for devices (hardware phones / CTI route points) which have been added to the JTAPI application user in CUCM and are monitored / controlled by a peripheral gateway pair?

I've always thought the device limit was 2000 - as in the same as active agents on a PG pair, but having asked Cisco, the answer they've given is somewhat different.  But what's confusing me is they have still referred to agents rather than devices.

To make this rather easy, let's assume that all UCCE components including CUCM and PG are v12 and were built using large 12,000 OVAs so we can have 12,000 active agents across 6 PG pairs.  That all calls are more than 3 minutes long. And that no actual agents are setup on the CUCM.  So, all agents are setup in config manager and in the UCCE databases., the only users setup in CUCM are admins like myself and the JTAPI Users which phones / CTI route points are added to.

1) I know that all docs state 2000 active agents.  So my assumption and understanding has always been that no more that 2000 devices should ever be added to the JTAPI Application user on CUCM and the 2000 figure was a limit of JTAPI.  However, what Cisco have said is that I can have up to 12,000 devices added to the JTAPI application user per PG pair.

What's confusing me is that they referred back to the v12 design docs and quoted the "CONFIGURED AGENTS" figure from that!

I would have thought that configured agents is a completely different thing to devices?

Does anyone know for sure, has anyone got more than 2000 devices added to their JTAPI application user?

2) When running PROCMON JLI on the active PGs, I see lots of devices which say they are "In Service" but "not monitored". This is because no agents are using that device but it's registered and online in CUCM. If the limit is 2000 devices, I assume those unmonitored devices count towards that limit?

3) Likewise I also see devices which are "Unregistered'. These devices are actually offline as in they have the NIC cable pulled out and are showing as not registered on the CUCM but are still in JTAPI user. Do these count to?

4) Finally, if UCCE outbound dialler is setup on a PG, 11.5 / 11/6 docs say that every dialler port should be counted as 1.33 devices. Does this then mean that for example if we had 300 ports setup on a PG pair, that the JTAPI user capacity baseline would then drop to 1601 (300 x 1.33 = 399, 2000 - 399 = 1601)?

Cisco couldn't answer this one as the they couldn't fine mention of the 1.33 ratio on the 12 docs anywhere!

Many thanks for your time an help on what probably seems like very basic questions. Unfortunately the various figures I've seen and Cisco's answer are making it hard to see the woods for the trees so to speak.

Kind regards

Dave

1 Reply 1

There was a lot on your post that I'm not going to address, I'm just going to focus on the 2000 device piece. I've seen environments with thousands and JTAPI phones. Specially, when you have center across multiple locations. So I don't know what the upper limit on devices is, but I know it's way higher than 2000. My understanding is strictly on 2000 logged in agents at a time due to the load that requires of actively monitor every message for that phone and agent activity and even then I've seen some customer go a bit above the 2000 during emergencies.

david

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: