Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC-EM Bulk Upload

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I'm working on provisioning about 35 switches.  I downloaded the bulk upload project template and filled it in pretty consistently or so I thought but 7 switches don't go into the project for some reason and wind up in Unplanned devices.  I can then claim them and add them to the project. Are there any logs that I can review to try to figure out why those 7 are rejected?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK... here is the real answer.

The API stuff will show you data issues in your file.

If you get through this, then you will see the seed file uploads and there will be a report you can download.

In your case, it shows the devices already exist... the names are duplicated.  Every device name needs to be unique

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 3.57.22 pm.png

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Claudia,

How are you doing the upload? UI or API?

Adam

Via the GUI.

Happy to send you the CSV file but "out of band" if possible.

claudia.deluna@dimensiondata.com

ok.  will email you.

BTW, for the forum, make sure that any config/image files in the rules are already uploaded to the controller.

Maybe that is the problem...in this project it was initially just for code upgrade on the 34 devices.  No config file.  But that does not explain why those 7 failed.  If that was an issue they would have all failed.   Sorry...thinking "out loud" so to speak.

One way you could try, is to use the swagger API to do the upload.

Click on "API" top right,

Select "Network Plug And Play" on LHS

Select "POST pnp-project/seed-file"

Select "Choose File" next too "seedFile" parameter and use your CSV.

Press "Try it out" and you will see any errors below.

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 3.31.03 pm.png

BTW, we broke the UI for bulk import in 1.3.2, but it will be fixed in 1.3.3 (in a day or two)

We should show the errors in the UI too, but I cannot test that right now.

Strange.  i took a look at your file.  Looks like we do not accept "." in the device name?  That does not explain  the ones that worked.

"Line 2, Device Name* aaaaaa.bbbbbbb is invalid. Accepted Format: Alpha Numeric with hyphen and underscore

woops...must have sent you the wrong file.  In the one I'm uploading I've replaced the "." with "_". 

The next problem was the serial number.  A lot of the ones in the file are 12 characters?  Is that correct?

Invalid Serial Number, Serial number is 11 characters alphanumeric

Should have mentioned this before..running 1.3.1.9

I love this interface!

So I tried the upload via the API and all 34 devices failed. Not really sure what the output is telling me.

Code 202 =

202Request was accepted. Use Task ID to track the progress

post-seed-202-2017-01-24_20-44-01.png

OK... here is the real answer.

The API stuff will show you data issues in your file.

If you get through this, then you will see the seed file uploads and there will be a report you can download.

In your case, it shows the devices already exist... the names are duplicated.  Every device name needs to be unique

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 3.57.22 pm.png

here is a sanitised version of the report.Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 4.01.00 pm.png

The 202 tells you there were no data errors in the file.  You can then look at the GUI (or another API) to get a report of the upload.

I can show you the API to find out the next step programatically, but probably simpler in the UI.