Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Pondering Automation: Powerful Scripting

Views
Helpful
Comments
Cisco Employee

Howdy all out there in automation land! Hopefully everyone is having a nice summer and getting some time to rest and recharge before we hit a great fall and finish up the year strong. Personally I took a nice couple of weeks off and toured the US with my family. Trips to Dallas, TX, Louisville, KY, Wheeling, WV, and Knoxville, TN. I pretty much did a nice tour of the SEC for those in the sports world! (I do love college football) Anyways, in a few discussions I've had with customers there has been interest in showing how I run scripting languages using CPO. Particularly interest in the major scripting languages like Python, Perl, Powershell, etc. So in the upcoming VOD I plan to show you a quick and simple method to call some python or some powershell code and add it into your automation.

Now if you plan to write quick snippets of scripting for one or two things, there might be no need for CPO. You probably can just run the automation as a script, but what I want to show is adding the script to a much larger "program" where it is just a piece of your bigger automation and not the main cog. Obviously with Powershell and VB Script you can write those directly into CPO's activities or call them as outside scripts, but with other languages like javascript or python or perl, that is not the case. (However I have enhancements in to get some native support for python/perl) So with those kind of scripting languages we have to use an OS target (normally Unix/Linux) , write the scripts and then call them with parameters via our process. In the end of the day you can do some really great things with your automations and use your scripting abilities to enhance the automations or give them better abilities! Hopefully after watching this short VOD you will have more ideas in what you can do with scripting and calling scripts within CPO.

ONTO THE VIDEO!

https://ciscosupport.webex.com/ciscosupport/lsr.php?RCID=74d2e550edba4710a904e80398998ac3

Enjoy!!

Shaun's Monthly Q/A

No questions this month! Hopefully we'll get some in to answer for next time!

Every month I will pick a handful of questions from you, the reading CPO public, to answer in this part of the blog. Please post comments/questions below. I will no longer be using the external e-mail from previous blogs.

Please also let me know if you like the format of this blog and what else you would like to see/know about. Feel free to give any ideas as to future blog posts, etc and I will be happy to post them. I hope to  do more how-tos, best practices, tips, tricks, and hopefully some interviews of the important people behind the scenes of CPO.

WEEKLY AUTOMATION BLOG DISCLAIMER: As always, this is a blog and my (Shaun Roberts) thoughts on CPO, my thoughts on best practices, and my experiences with the product and customers. The above views are in  no way representative of Cisco or any of it's partners, etc. None  of these views, etc are supported and this is not a place to find standard product support. If you need standard product support  please do so via the current call in numbers on Cisco.com or email tac@cisco.com

Thanks to all for reading and happy automating!

-Shaun Roberts

shaurobe@cisco.com

1 Comment
Beginner

Just started class a Cisco class at KPC in Kenai AK. Thanks Rickey.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards
This widget could not be displayed.