cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1000v Packet & Control on traditional vSwitch

jconides
Level 1
Level 1

I'm deploying the 1000v in a scenario where the Packet & Control VLANs are on a traditional vSwitch and not the 1000v. I'm having difficulty getting the VEM talking to the VSM, and have been advised to set up system VLANs for Packet & Control on an uplink profile. Since the Packet & Control won't be migrated to an uplink profile, is this really necessary?

Thanks,

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So, if I am understanding you correctly you will have 2 vnmnics for production and 2 for maybe a DMZ? In this case you only need to define the system vlans on one of the uplink port-profiles. Make sure you configure the allowed trunk list properly so that you don't have the same vlans trunked on both uplink port profiles

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, the packet and control VLANs have to be allowed on the trunk to the ESX vmnics and on the uplink port profile those have to be configured as system vlans. Here is an example of a configuration where the packet and control VLANs are 611 and 612. In this config the VSM is hosted on a standard vSwitch and the ESX hosts has 2 other dedicated vmnics that are uplinked to the N1KV.

The port groups on the standrad vSwitch are for the VSM to communicate on the management, packet and control VLANs where as the the uplink port-profile is for the hosts to communcate with the VSM over those VLANs. The system vlan config is to tell the N1KV to always bring those up in a forwarding state exempt from any policies.

port-profile type ethernet esx-host-prod-uplinks

vmware port-group

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-3967,4048-4093

channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning

no shutdown

system vlan 13,611-612

description Physical Ethernet ESXi Host Uplinks for Prod

state enabled

svs-domain

domain id 611

control vlan 611

packet vlan 612

svs mode L2

Thanks for the explanation. The hosts are going to have to uplink profiles, one internal and one external. Do I need to define the system VLANs on both?

Thanks,

John Conides | Solutions Engineer

p 617-304-7577

www.greenpages.com<http://www.greenpages.com/> | Kittery ME | Boston MA

So, if I am understanding you correctly you will have 2 vnmnics for production and 2 for maybe a DMZ? In this case you only need to define the system vlans on one of the uplink port-profiles. Make sure you configure the allowed trunk list properly so that you don't have the same vlans trunked on both uplink port profiles

Thanks, I am back onsite on Tuesday and will give this a try!

John Conides | Solutions Engineer

p 617-304-7577

www.greenpages.com<http://www.greenpages.com/> | Kittery ME | Boston MA