Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i use both vmware vDS and Nexus 1000v in the same ESXi host

csco11542695
Level 1
Level 1

Hi anybody

I have some question anybody help me please.

1. Can i use both vmware vDS and Nexus 1000v in the same ESXi host

2. How to migrate vmware guest from vmware vDS (current Production) to Nexus 1000v vDS without downtime

Than you.

5 Replies 5

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you can run the VMware vSwitch and the VMware vDS on the same ESXi host as you are running the Nexus 1000V.

The migration of a VM is simply editing the VM settings and changing the Network port-group that it is attached to from the vSwitch or vDS to the Nexus 1000V. You do not need to shutdown or reboot the VM. You may lose some network packets during the switch so I would recommend doing it during a maintenance window or when load is low. Think of the migration as if you are moving the network cable from one switch to another.

louis

Hi Iwatta

Thank for your reply

I mean VMware vDS and Cisco vDS in the same ESXi not VMware vSwitch and the VMware vDS.

If follow this requirement (vmware VDS + cisco Nexus1000). and migrate from vmware vDS (not vSwitch) to Cisco Nexus 1000v without downtime. Is this imposible ^^

Yes, thats possible. Below a screenshot from our demo environment wth vSwitch,DVS and 1000v active on one cluster.

dvs.GIF

As John shows in his post you can run vDS and N1KV on the same host at the same time.

I said "Yes you can run the VMware vSwitch and the VMware vDS on the same ESXi host as you are running the Nexus 1000V"

This was to imply that we don't care what you run on the ESXi host with the N1KV. We have no restrictions on what vSwitches you run on the host.

And again downtime is relative here. You do not need to reboot the VMs but you are virtually unplugging the network connection from one switch and plugging it into another. You may drop some packets so plan accordingly.

louis

Very cleared answer. Thank alot