cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot remove Dvs from vcenter

uzmausmani
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to install nexus 1000v on my vcenter but since I was facing issues I removed it from the vcenter, unregistered the extension and want to try again. But it wont remove my DVS and all its port groups etc from the vcenter. I have even removed my host from the vcenter but that that didnt help either. Any help with figuring out how to do this would be appreciated. Thank you. The error is gives is "

The

extension

key of the

vNetwork

Distributed

Switch

(dvsExtensi-

onKey) is

not the

same as the

login session

's extension

key

(sessionExt-

ensionKey).  also

Delete folder

vsm1

Cannot

remove the

object, since

it has active

related

objects.

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Uzma,

You can't just "delete" the VSM or DVS.  It must be graecfully removed.

Do the following to fix your issue:

1. Deploy a temporary VSM with the same switchname as the previous one.  Standalone is fine.

2. Register the extension key in VC and setup basic connectivity (svs connection and IP info only) on the VSM to allow it to connect to VC.

3. Once the svs connection has been established you can issue a "no vmware dvs" from the svs context on the VSM CLI which will gracefully remove all the Port group and DVS from vCenter. 

4. Delete the temp VSM.

5. Unregister the Extension key from Step 2.

I haven't detailed each step, but you should be familiar with the process as you have deployed one previously.  If you're stuck let me know and I'll expand any details required.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks for the reply. Yes that worked. I followed the steps outlined here http://frankdenneman.nl/2010/03/removing-orphaned-nexus-dvs/   which are along the line of your method. Thanks a lot for your help.