cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Correct specifications for Nexus 93180LC-EX switch?

Daniel Larsson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I thought i'd give it a try here to see if anyone actually knows the correct specifications of this switch?

(NX-OS mode) First mystery.....ships with 24x40G QSFP+/6x100G QSFP28 OR 28x40G QSFP+/4x100GQSFP28?

There are so many documents floating around that says that either of the above is true, depending on where you look it will support both options. There's a HUGE difference between them IMO so which are the correct specifications? (undersubscribed vs standard oversubscribed)

(NX-OS mode) Second mystery.....Which ports are breakout-capable? Only the last 4/6 QSFP28 ports OR all QSFP+ ports?

Same here....so many documents floating around that says that either of the above is true. Why only the last "uplink ports" are breakout-capable (if that's correct) is beyond any reasonable understanding from a design perspective. Nobody would waste a 40G access-switch and uplink it witha  4x10G breakout - it's fair to say that you would go with 100G in this scenario and not a 4x10 cabling.

But a lot of documentation supports that only the uplink ports are breakout-capable, and the rest of the ports are breakout-capable with the following comment:

Note: Please check software roadmap for supported configs at FCS.

•In ACI mode 24p 40G and 6p 100G is supported at FCS

•In NX-OS mode 28p 40G and 4p 100G is supported at FCS. (Also supports 32p 40G)

It's very unclear what the purpose of this switch is with documentation supporting what I hope it was built for, with just as much documentation making it very bad in that same design.

To me this looks like a high-end switch that was built to use 40G at the DC-access, and aggregate with 100G or 40G oversubscribed.

But a lot of the documentation does not support it. Instead supporting aggregation breakout (why?) instead of access-breakout (what we usually want).

Anyone actually have one of these switches or know someone that knows the actual specifications?

Thanks! This has really been an interesting research so far but more questions come the more you dig, any insight is helpful so i can keep my hair !

-Daniel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

grerose
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

This answer is from one of our Subject Matter Experts. Hope it helps.

"The 93180LC shipped with 7.0(3)I6(1) and is currently the only release for the 93180LC.  The only port template supported so far is template 1 which is 28x40/50G + 4x100G.  G release coming this sept will support template 2 which is 24x40/50G + 6x100G and template 3 which will support 18x100G."

Thanks!

Greg Rose

Community Manager

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mseanmiller
Level 1
Level 1

I was given the following specs from my cisco pre-sales CCIE.

The 93180LC-EX will support multiple configuration options with respect to 40G and/or 100G.

NX-OS mode

1. 32p 40G
  2. 28p 40G + 4p 100G (supported at FCS)
  3. 24p 40G + 6p 100G
  4. 18p 100G  (Future software release. Next couple months)

grerose
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

This answer is from one of our Subject Matter Experts. Hope it helps.

"The 93180LC shipped with 7.0(3)I6(1) and is currently the only release for the 93180LC.  The only port template supported so far is template 1 which is 28x40/50G + 4x100G.  G release coming this sept will support template 2 which is 24x40/50G + 6x100G and template 3 which will support 18x100G."

Thanks!

Greg Rose

Community Manager

Hello Greg,

thanks for your explanation! We bought two of them with template 1 in october, but need template 2.  Now it is november. Are there any news concerning template 2? I can not find a G release on the cisco support server.

Concernig the "second mystery": Can I use every 40/50G port with 4x10G break out?

Thanks and best regards!

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

I got the word from engineering that the 18x100G code version is now released so all templates are supported. Unfortunately this information was not included in the release notes, but it has been confirmed that this information is in there.

Thanks!

Greg Rose

Community Manager

Thank you, Greg, it works!

I upgraded to 7.0(3)I7(1). With this I can use all the three modes (4x, 6x or 18x 100G).

Thanks and best regards!

Joseph

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: