cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Create a vPC Domain between a pair of Nx7k7 installed in different Data Centers

bbjlopez
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know if it is possible to create a vPC domain between two Nexus Nx7k7, which are in different Data Centers, that is, they are not local, therefore the connection of the Peer-Link and the Peer-KA-Link will be connected in a wan environment using f.e direct DWDM bindings.

Many thanks

6 Replies 6

Jason Leschnik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just out of curiosity, what's the use-case for such a design?

Hello,

The main reason is to create something similar to a neutral point of L2 between two large data centers (to extend VLANs), such as a star connection, where small data centers can be connected, with a connection to each of them type vPC or Port-channeel, so both connections would be in forwarding state, forming a connection in HA, always guaranteeing at least one path for each small data center, where since there are no STP changes, the loss of one of the two paths will not be noticed.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!

In general, if the Peer-Links have proper connection.. I guess it should work as expected.

But what are you trying to accomplish?

I think there could be better ways to solve your problems.

Best regards
Juls

Hello,

The main reason is to create something similar to a neutral point of L2 between two large data centers (to extend VLANs), such as a star connection, where small data centers can be connected, with a connection to each of them type vPC or Port-channeel, so both connections would be in forwarding state, forming a connection in HA, always guaranteeing at least one path for each small data center, , where since there are no STP changes, the loss of one of the two paths will not be noticed.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Hey!

Okay I see.
But honestly stretching a vPC Pair over two sides sounds really sketchy - even if it should work.

When we get into stretching L2 across Data Center Sites .. we actually tend to build an overlay.
Nowadays I would say .. VxLAN :)

Have you ever thought about building a VxLAN overylay over your DCIs?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/white-paper-c11-739942.html

Best regards
Julian

Hy!

The solution you offer is a great solution and would probably be a very good option, and we have been thinking about it, but it requires a great deployment of L3 technologies that we do not have by now and second and most important of all Data Centers at the ends of the star they have to be based on Nexus technology equipment, and this is not currently our case, in some points of the stars there will be simple Cisco Stacks (Updatable Technologies in the future), because they are old Data Centers of little entity and they only need the transport of VLANs to access the services provided by the two main data centers
or Core.
Thank you very much
Best regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: