Views
Helpful
Replies

Directing VLAN traffic through specific ports

j2sw
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,
I have a transparent traffic shaper appliance I need to introduce into a network.  Attached is a diagram.  How I control trafficflow to come in port 2 and go through port 15 (the in of the shaper) and onto the router? The reason this is happening is the router has 40 gig uplinks and the shaper only has 10 gig links.  There are other VLANs, but I drew one for simplicity's sake.  The switch is a Nexus 3064X if that makes any difference.

4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Have you tried configuring port 2 and 15 into vlan 10 for example and the other ports belonging to the same vlan assigning them to vlan 11. So when port 2 device wants to reach devices in the same vlan, traffic will go over the device in port 15.
This is the way we use when implement fw in transparent mode (bump int the wire).

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

I will try this.  Will this still cause ospf to pass through the transparent device?

All traffic between the device on port 2 and the other vlan will go over your appliance

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @j2sw 

If your transparent appliance supports, and you only have one switch available, the option yo have is to bridge the vlans together - where your clients are in one vlan, and rouer/GW in another vlan.

Something like this:vlans.png

If you have another switch available which can do vlan mapping, you can add a second layer of conversion. This way your router and clients will be in the same vlan.

vlans2.jpg

Hope it helps,

Sergiu