Views
Helpful
Replies

EVPN route redistribution | Border Gateway

velo84
Level 1
Level 1

I have a lab scenario as follows:

2 x Nexus 9300 (one of them is a border gateway)

1 x external router running OSPF

Summary of issue: Want to only advertise the network prefixes to external OSPF peer and not the /32s evpn routes. 

pic.png

The border gateway is redistributing the fabric routes into OSPF. I have connectivity from external to internal to the fabric no problem. The issue I am having is the external OSPF router only has the /32 routes from the hosts on Nexus2 e.g. (10.0.0.1/32) Now this is fine and allows connectivity but really I want to only redistribute the networks into OSPF (not the /32s) The OSPF router does have the 192.168.0.0/24 route from border gateway (Nexus1) but I assume that is because it's picking up the subnet from the connected SVI/Anycast gateway config on the local switch. 

If I look at the fabric routes I don't see a network for 10.0.0.0/24 (only the /32 routes) so that is why the route would not be getting redistributed into OSPF. How do I get the /24 route into the fabric routes?

E.g. I could add a network statement under the BGP config on Nexus2  (which works) but wondering if this is the correct way to do it? 

vrf Tenant-1
    address-family ipv4 unicast
      network 10.0.0.0/24
      advertise l2vpn evpn

I thought the /24 route would be in the fabric routes because of the SVI/Anycast gateway config on Nexus2 for 192.168.0.1/24

My BGP to OSPF route-map config:

ip prefix-list permit-bgp-to-ospf seq 130 permit 0.0.0.0/0

route-map redistribute-bgp-ospf permit 10
  match ip address permit-bgp-to-ospf
  match route-type internal

router ospf 1
  router-id 1.1.1.1
  vrf Tenant-1
    router-id 1.1.1.1
    redistribute direct route-map redistribute-bgp-ospf
    redistribute bgp 65000 route-map redistribute-bgp-ospf

My main objective is to have a clean set of routes advertised out of the fabric to OSPF. With that in mind I have also been trying aggregate routes under the BGP config (to redistribute into OSPF) but the problem is an aggregate route will only advertise the aggregate if there is a component route active on the switch. So if you are passing traffic to 192.168.0.1 then the /32 route is in the fabric routes so it then gets redistributed into OSPF. The problem is when traffic is not passing the /32 route disappears from the fabric so the aggregate routes disappears also. 

Any suggestions or help welcome.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

ChuckMcF
Level 1
Level 1

Try summarizing the routes in BGP. Then BGP should redistribute the /24 to OSPF as you desire:

On Border Router:

router bgp 6500

address-family ipv4 vrf Tenant-1

aggregate-address 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 summary-only

HTH,

Chuck McFadden

(please mark helpful posts as helpful)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card