cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fan tray for Cisco 6509 is hot swappable?

Shah-KH
Level 1
Level 1

is fan fray for Cisco 6509 switch is hot swappable? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Shah-KH , 
Thanks for your reply, as mentionned by @f00z , system will not powered down the Line Cards if it's done under 5 minutes. 
If we've replied to your query, please mark this thread as resolved to clear the queue. 
Have a nice day. 
Kind Regards,
Antoine

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

anpetit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @Shah-KH , 
Hope you are doing well. 

Are we talking about Cat 6509 ? If yes, Fan Tray should be hot swappable nevertheless, you have to be quick to replace the Fan Tray because after 5 minutes, the system will start powering down the Line Cards. 

One community link about the same topic:
https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-network-architecture-subjects/changing-fan-tray-on-cat-6509/td-p/380513

Let me know if it helps you.
Kind Regards,
Antoine

Thank you Antonie for your quick reply. Just have one more question, if we swapped the tray with in the 5 minutes do you think system will still powering down the line cards? 

It puts a message in the syslog, I believe it's around 45 seconds before it does anything.  I have swapped these before and the log message says something like fan tray removed, timer started for shutdown  and will display some amount of seconds or minutes that it will shut down. I would suggest clearing everything out of the way so you can swap it within 45 seconds and should be no problem.  Literally takes 10 seconds max to swap it if it's all clear

Hello @Shah-KH , 
Thanks for your reply, as mentionned by @f00z , system will not powered down the Line Cards if it's done under 5 minutes. 
If we've replied to your query, please mark this thread as resolved to clear the queue. 
Have a nice day. 
Kind Regards,
Antoine

Shah-KH
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you!