cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 AIPC Mode

jbain44
Level 4
Level 4

Anybody have any good info on L3 AIPC mode becuase Cisco hasn't updated their Docs yet. I like the idea of L3 and not having to have the Packet and Control VLAN's around. At least that was my understanding until there was a crash. Now I'm dealing with VEM stablity issues. So I'm wondering if anybody can answer me this. Do you still need to define Packet and Control VLAN's if you're running in L3 AIPC Mode. I didn't and let those default to VLAN 1 but am wondering if those packets are traversing 1 which is probably not the best idea.

Here's the output of my SVS Domain.

sh svs dom
SVS domain config:
  Domain id:    10 
  Control vlan: 1 
  Packet vlan:  1 
  L2/L3 Control mode: L3
  L3 control interface: mgmt0

Any insite to L3 AIPC would be helpful.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can find information about L3 AIPC in the System Management Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0_4_s_v_1_2/system_management/configuration/guide/n1000v_system.html

As per the doc you should to disable the Control & Packet VLANs - they will not be used.

In your case the Control traffic is traversing whatever VLAN your mgmt0 Interface is assigned.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

Cool. Thanks for the quick confirmation!

Jason

Cisco doesnt recommend disconnecting control / packet adaptors in L3 mode. Disconnecting control adaptor even when L3 control interface is mgmt0  will fail HA.