Views
Helpful
Replies

N1KV - Connectivity issues

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I am trying to bring up my first N1KV in a lab environment and I am having some weird connectivity issues. Hope someone can help !!

I've been working together with our VM team and we have the following installed and configured. We have ESX 4.1 installed on an HP DL360 G7 with 4 NIC's and the VMNic's are assigned as follow.

- vmnic0 to vSwitch0 with the following portgroups (Service Console, N1KV-Control, N1KV-Mgmt, N1KV-Packet and VMKernel) and all portgroups are in the same VLAN.

- vmnic1 to vSwitch1 for vMotion traffic

- vmnic2 to vSwitch2 for VM data

- vmnic3 to vSwitch3 for VM data

I have VSM and VEM version 4.2(1)SV1(4) installed on the same ESX host and connected to vCenter with the following port-profile and svs-domain configured. I am using L3 mode for VSM and VEM communication I believe this is what Cisco recommends going forward.

port-profile type ethernet system-uplink

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 7

no shutdown

system vlan 7

description ServiceConsole-Contrl-Packet-Mgmt

state enabled

port-profile type ethernet vMotion-uplink

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 21

no shutdown

description vMotion uplink

state enabled

port-profile type ethernet W0AA0159-VM-Data-Uplink

vmware port-group

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 8,99

channel-group auto mode active

no shutdown

description W0AA0159 VM Data Uplink

state enabled

port-profile type vethernet VM-Data-VLAN8

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 8

no shutdown

description VM Data VLAN8 Server Farm

state enabled

port-profile type vethernet VM-Data-VLAN99

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 99

no shutdown

description VM Data VLAN99 Web-App Server Farm

state enabled

port-profile type vethernet vMotion

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 21

no shutdown

description vMotion

state enabled

port-profile type vethernet System-Console

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 7

no shutdown

system vlan 7

description vMotion

state enabled

port-profile type vethernet L3vmkernel

capability l3control

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 7

no shutdown

system vlan 7

state enabled

svs-domain

domain id 101

control vlan 1

packet vlan 1

svs mode L3 interface mgmt0

Here is my problem:

When I move vmnic0 to the system-uplink port-profile with N1KV-Control, N1KV-Mgmt, N1KV-Packet map to System-Console port-profile, and VMKernel maps to L3vmkernel port-profile, all seems to work fine at this point. I can see the VEM comes online and all is good. But when I start moving the second vmnic over (either vmnic1, vmnic1 or vmnic3 don't matter) all hosts got disconnected, vCenter shows all hosts disconnected. And the only way to bring the environment back is to log into ESX and run ESX commands to delete and recreate the vmnic's then map them back to vSwitch.

Has anyone ran into this issue before ? Could it be that vmnic is assigned to the vSwitch that you can't move it over to the N1KV ?

Thanks in advance !!! I appreciate any inputs / suggestions !!!

D.

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Danny,

Since you're only putting a single NIC in each uplink port profile (not a great idea since there's no redundancy) your port profiles look correct. For the management uplink there's no channel group command - and none needed.  For the "W0AA0159-VM-Data-Uplink" uplink port profile you're using "mode active" so I assume you've configured the LACP Port Channel on the upstream switch also?  Since the vSwitch doesn't support LACP, just making sure this didn't get overlooked before & after the migration.

Your Managment interfaces migrate fine - which is good.  Do you have a secondary management vmknic configured on the VMotion VLAN 21?  That's the only reason I could think your host would get disconnected from vCenter during the migration.  Nothing else should impact your managment when migrating just your vMotion network.

Have you created all the necessary VLANs on the 1000v? The Management, Control and Packet will be created as part of the Installation, but any additional VLANs (VMotion, VM Data etc) need to be manually created before they're used.

Regards,

Robert

Hello Robert !! I appreciate your response !!!

I was able to work with TAC and we got it figured out, all is good now. It was a mistake on my end during the migration and we got it worked out now.

Thanks Robert !!!

D.

Great to hear your issue is resolved.   Let us know if you have any further issues/questions.

Regards,

Robert

anthonypai
Level 1
Level 1

Danny,

I found this might be a plus for you in future: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0_4_s_v_1_3/troubleshooting/configuration/guide/n1000v_trouble_8layer2.html#wp1193755

Thanks for bring this up, I am actually on the same issue and was able to get throw already too.

Thanks Anthony !! Thanks Robert !!! I appreciate the help !!!

D.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card