Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v & 1010 Truncate Tacacs+ Username

dgoodridge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Authentication and Accounting both function correctly, however Authorization fails with a code 0x10 denial (backed up by ACS accounting). Upon sniffing and decrypting the Authorization packet the Nexus sends, it is clear that all usernames are being truncated after 8 characters, and hence failing when it reaches ACS. Obviously in a multidomain windows authentication world it's nearly impossible to have a username string shorter than 8 characters.

For example if I login with a username of:

ciscoengineer

the decrypted authorization packet will contain the tag of:

user: ciscoeng

This is affecting both the 1000v and the 1010 appliance, both are on code version 4.2(1)SP1(2).

I cannot find any reference to a similiar existing open bug, so I'm going to raise a TAC case, however I thought I'd check on here to see if anyone had experienced anything similiar?

Many thanks,

Doug

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Doug,

This is a known bug CSCtn75755 "Username with more than 8 characters login but have limited CLI access"

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtn75755

This is expected to be fixed in an upcoming patch release for 4.2(1)SV1(4)

I still suggest you log a TAC case so we can link the bug for tracking.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks for the info Robert. Do you happen to have any timescale info for the release?

Regards,

Doug

No tentative release date yet.  I'd guess within the next 3-5 months.

Regards,

Robert

Any update on this?

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

According to our bug database it was fixed in the latest release which is 1.4a.

louis

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card