Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v compatibilty with watchguard

Intosys2009
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everybody,

I have a problem with my nexus, somebody knows if there is a compatibility problem with watchguard firebox x8300 version 10.2 & 11.

my nexus works fine with other components, but i have problems just when i connected my nexus 1000v with x8300, I´m using 802.1q because i need to you use many vlans.

thanks.

3 Replies 3

saravan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

It would help us if you can describe the problems that you are experiencing with the watchguard box and the Nexus 1000V.

We'll be very happy to help you once we understand more details about the issue.

Here is the information that we would need :

1. Problem description

2. Configuration of the Nexus 1000V

Thanks ...

- Saravan

Hi Saravan,

i will try to clarify my problem,

my enviroment is:

• 1 VSM.
  • 1 VEM, my vsphere01 server use the vmnic02 for system-uplink, and vmnic04 for vm-uplink.
  • Two VLANs 58,94.
  • 1 VM VLAN58.
  • 1 VM VLAN94.
  • 1 3com switch
  • 1 firebox x8500, I made a mistake and wrote x8300, the correct model is x8500e, this unit is the gateway for vlans 58 & 94.

Using VDS

My fisrt test was, i configured my vsphere01 to use VDS using vmnic04 for vm traffic with one vswitch for vlan 58 and another one for vlan94, vmnic04 is plug into the physical port number 24 in 3com switch, and the physical switch 3com has connection to the firebox, you can find below the configuration of port 24 of 3com, and the physical ports between 3com and firebox.

switchport mode trunk.

switchport trunk allowed vlan all.

Whit this configuration everything works well, my two virtual machines have communication with their gateways.

Using Nexus 1000v in access mode.

you can find below the configuration of port 24 of 3com, and the physical ports between 3com and firebox.

switchport mode access.

switchport access vlan 94 or switch access vlan 58 depends on the vlan that I was using.

I configured my vsphere01 to use Nexus 1000v using vmnic02 for system-uplink and vmnic04 for vm-uplink

With this configuration my vm vlan 94 can ping his gw, and vlan58 can ping his gw also, i attached you both configurations.

Using Nexus 1000v in trunk mode.

you can find below the configuration of port 24 of 3com, and the physical ports between 3com and firebox.

switchport mode trunk.

switchport trunk allowed vlan all.

I configured my vsphere01 to use Nexus 1000v using vmnic02 for system-uplink and vmnic04 for vm-uplink

with this configuration i cant ping any gateway from my VMs vlan58 and vlan94, im i little bit confuse about it, i attached you the configuration in trunk mode.

Using Nexus 1000v in trunk mode, but vsphere01 is connected directly with firebox x8500.

in this enviroment i connected my vmnic04 directly to firebox, i´m using the same configuration that i used in the example above, but it doesn´t  work, that its the reason why I' m thinking there is a compatibility issue between nexus and firebox, but only when i used 802.1q.

i attached you the configuration file of firebox

thanks a lot, if you need more information don´t hesitate and contact me.

Thanks.

The configuration attached to the message seems incomplete. Can you please attach the output from ‘vem-support all’ on the VEM and ‘show tech-support svs’ on the VSM? Or, better still, can we do a webex?

Thanks.