Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 1000v Installtion problem: show module does not show the vem

wagde
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm PoCing the nexus 1000v. I installed the VEM, the plug in, the VSM, according to the installation guide flow chart.

When I come to the step: verifying the installtion: show module does not show the VEM installed in the ESX (The VSM and the VEM are in the same ESX)

n1000v(config-port-prof)# show module
Mod  Ports  Module-Type                      Model              Status
---  -----  -------------------------------- ------------------ ------------
1    0      Virtual Supervisor Module        Nexus1000V         active *

Mod  Sw               Hw     
---  ---------------  ------ 
1    4.0(4)SV1(1)     0.0   

Mod  MAC-Address(es)                         Serial-Num
---  --------------------------------------  ----------
1    00-19-07-6c-5a-a8 to 00-19-07-6c-62-a8  NA        

Mod  Server-IP        Server-UUID                           Server-Name
---  ---------------  ------------------------------------  --------------------
1    172.23.10.188    NA                                    NA

I try to run ping between to VMs in the (data262 pg) but it does not work. I see that their ports are Blocked

I tried the troubleshooting guide but with no help.

Can you please help to debug this issue.

Thanx

Wagde

8 Replies 8

mihanlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Wadge,

When modules are not seen on the show mod command, this typically means that the control/packet vlans aren't working end-to-end.

Can you please ensure that the switch/switches between the VSM and the VSM are carrying the control and packet vlans. You can do a SPAN if it's Cisco gear on the ports going to the ESX hosts to check if any traffic is on the control and packet vlans, which is a good sanity check.

Also if you can share the topology that would be beneficial too.

--Michael

Hi

Thanx Michael for the answer.

My topology contains only 1 ESX server (4.0 of course) and a vCenter.

So If my topology has only one ESX why there is connectivity problems between the VSM and the VEM. There are sitting on the vSwitch, so it's weird to have problems between them.

Should I cofigure the vSwitch to accept specific VLANs?

by the way, I used the same names/VLAN ids as in the installation guide.

I'm stuck here, so please help.

Thanx in advance

Wagde

Your VSM & VEM might be on the same host, but they have to connect via separate phsyical uplinks.  You should have one NIC for your vSwitch, and you need a dedicated NIC for use with this host on the DVS.

As Michael stated, you have to ensure the following:

1. The Control & Packet VLAN have been created on the upstream phsycial switch.  They have to exist on the switch before you can use them.

2. You have to ensure you're allowing the Control/Packet VLANs on the NIC connecting to your vSwitch.

If you're still stuck, send the config for the Interfaces connecting to the vSwitch & 1000v

Ex "show run interface gix/x"

Regards,

Robert

Hi

Sorry, but this is the first time I'm working with cisco switches, so I really need a step by step help.

I'm attaching screenshots from my vCenter which may help with the topology of my setup.

All I need is to ping from RHEL5_1 to RHEL5_2.

I have only vmnic3 connected to the "management network"

What other vmnics should I connect?

What commands in the VSM should I run which may help you to understand my setup?

Thanx

Wagde

I need to see the config of VMNIC1 on the upstream switch.

What make/model of switch is this host physically plugged into?

Robert

Hi

vmnic0 and vmnic1 are not connected to any physical switch.

Why do I need to connect them to a physical switch if I need to check the traffic betweem VMs only?

Wagde

You need to have at least one nics configured for each VEM module.  This is how each VEM communicates with the VSM.  Without an uplink the VEM module can never get programmed by the VSM.  So until you have communication between the VSM & VEM  you'll never get any VM's communicating.  It's not like an "all-in-one" vSwitch.  The 1000v is comprised of the Virtual Supervisor Module and each host connected being a Virtual Ethernet Module.

Please read this guide for an explanation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_0/getting_started/configuration/guide/start_n1000v.pdf

Once you have the physical links correclty configured, you should have no issue with VM-VM communication.  These requirements are documented in the guide above.

Robert

Hi

I assigned VLAN 260 to Contol port group in vSwitch1 (uplink vmnic2)

I assigned VLAN 261 to Packet port group in vSwitch1 (uplink vmnic2)

I conected the system uplink in DVS (vmnic0) AND vmnic2 with a cross cable, and everything owrked fine. show module show the VEM, and I can ping the RHEL VMs.

Thanx for the help

Wagde

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card