Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548 back to back vPC set spanning-tree priority

as00001111
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

there are two nexus 5548 in a vpc domain that are connected to another pair of nexus 5548 that are also in a vpc domain.

On both vpc pairs are other virtual port-channels where hosts are connected to. But there are also switches and hosts connected without a virtual port-channel.

I need to set the spanning-tree priority of 8196 on the first pair of N5K.

My first thought was just to set the spanning-tree priority on the primary switch.

Then I read about peer-switch.

But I'm very unsure how to solve it since I don't want to bring the network down.

Can someone give me advice?

Thank you!

8 Replies 8

lovsharm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First vpc pair you can keep with same priority, If you have vpc peer-switch command on it and then keep it higher on lower vpc pair but same on both device in one vpc domain with peer-switch. Make sure you use different vpc domain in dual sided vpc side.

to make sure that I understand you correctly:

on N5K1 and N5K2 I configure vpc peer-switch.

Furthermore I set the spanning-tree priority on both of them. Or only on one of them?

let's say 5k1===5k2 are vpc pair. you can use lower priority on both but with peer-switch you need to have the same STP priority on the the vpc pair.

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 11.28.18 PM.png

for vpc domain1 keep stp priority lower but same on 5k1 and 5k2 if peer-switch is enable.

for vpc domain2 keep stp priority higher then domain 1 but same on 5k3 and 5k4 if peer-switch is enable.

Thank you for the explanation.

atm, there is no "peer-switch" configured.

Is it useful to configure it? Does it have any impact to the network or on the vpc members?

I read the article but I don't understand what would be the benefit to use peer-switch?

you can consider that it's good to have it for STP fast convergence. so configure it. 

Thank you for your help so far, I'm going to try it and will report back.