Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Nexus 7706 Override Port Groups

Hi

I'm working on a migration to a Nexus 7706 with N77-M348XP-23L line cards. The Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Virtual Device Context Configuration Guide (and some other documentation such as datasheets) tell me that this line card has 2 x 24-interface port groups. My understanding of Nexus switching (for about a decade) is that we must allocate an entire port group to a particular VDC. However, there's a statement in this document that suggests it's possible to override this behaviour (with caveats):

"When interfaces in different VDCs share the same port ASIC, reloading the VDC (with the reload vdc command) or provisioning interfaces to the VDC (with the allocate interface command) might cause short traffic disruptions (of 1 to 2 seconds) for these interfaces. If such behavior is undesirable, make sure to allocate all interfaces on the same port ASIC to the same VDC."

Am I misreading this? Is it possible to assign more than one VDC per ASIC? If so, how?

This other post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/cisco-7710-vdc-port-allocation-n77-m348xp-23l/td-p/3177385 suggests that it won't permit allocation other than in the 2 port groups.

Thanks!

Everyone's tags (3)
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards